🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: My bid is not showing in the range on job...
Page options
andrews_jay
Community Member

My bid is not showing in the range on job ad two days later

I submitted a proposal two days ago, and the job page says I submitted a proposal.  But my bid was higher than the highest bid showing. 

Can a moderator help me with understanding this?

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Jay A wrote:

I submitted a proposal two days ago, and the job page says I submitted a proposal.  But my bid was higher than the highest bid showing. 

That means the client archived or declined your bid. The range only includes  the proposals which are still in the running.  If your bid was declined, it would have moved from active proposals to your archived proposal list.

If the client archived your proposal his / her side, it still shows under your active proposals but is, for all intents and purposes, dead.

Both declined and archived bids no longer show in the bid range.

Thank you for the reply. 

For clarity it is in my "Submitted Proposals", and I think never made it to my Active proposals, as it seems those I have all received replies, unless I misunderstand, but beyond the scope of the OP.

Something interesting about this situation that system admins/mods may like to know, this particular job was a rare case where the system recommended I bid a higher than usual, specific hourly rate, based on the job description and my experience.  Based on that I bid higher than I would have, I would have been lower than the highest in the range otherwise.

For what it is worth.  I'm not disgruntled or anything, just curious to understand as well as I can and to share the information as a means to the mutually desired ends.

Jay A wrote:

Something interesting about this situation that system admins/mods may like to know, this particular job was a rare case where the system recommended I bid a higher than usual, specific hourly rate, based on the job description and my experience.  Based on that I bid higher than I would have, I would have been lower than the highest in the range otherwise.

I ignore those. My rate is my rate, and clients would surely think I am taking the p*ss if I bid higher than my profile rate. 

On the flip side, I originally increased my rate to what it is now after I bid higher on a similar site recommendation to bid higher on that job, and the client hired me at that higher rate, for a nicely lucrative project.  So I am inclined to like the feature, but in this case it wasn't successful.  So I'm still open to considering the advice, but just less confident in the efficacy of the recommendation.

It would be interesting, and maybe they already do it, to keep track of the success rates of the recommendations in order to optimize the system.

Something else I just thought of, typically I receive an email from Upwork notifying me that a proposal was declined, and in this case I did not receive such an email, so I'm still not convinced that the client actually received my proposal, which was the purpose of my original question.

Further, last summer I had an issue where for about a month in fact my proposals I submitted were not making it to the clients.  Upwork support opened a case for it, worked with me, and eventually confirmed the problem was real and also remedied the problem.

So I would really like someone from the support team to investigate the case and not just be dismissive of it after a glance and guess.  Is there a better way to officially open some sort of support ticket instead of posting the question here?

Jay A wrote:

Something else I just thought of, typically I receive an email from Upwork notifying me that a proposal was declined, and in this case I did not receive such an email, so I'm still not convinced that the client actually received my proposal, which was the purpose of my original question.

Clients can either decline or archive your proposal. If they decline it the proposal moves into your archived proposals.

If they only archive your proposal, it does not notify you and the proposal stays in your submitted proposals. However, you're no longer in the acitive running and your bid does not appear in the range.

Jay A wrote:

So I would really like someone from the support team to investigate the case and not just be dismissive of it after a glance and guess.  Is there a better way to officially open some sort of support ticket instead of posting the question here?

Yes, via your help center...

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths