🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: My biggest shock on upwork.
Page options
omarkhater
Community Member

My biggest shock on upwork.

If I completed the required work, answered all of my client questions then I received the attached messages. What should I do ?

I am really shocked so that I don't know what to do or to say. !

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Omar,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you have with your client.

Our team will review your client further and take proper actions. If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
kirke_
Community Member

Thanks for sharing. It is chauvinist, disrespectful and rude. Try to report him. Put info about him on Reddit. Definitely write a horrible review. There are too many such clients here... And right now there is no system how to teach them to be normal. 

And no, they do now own you if they pay you; it is a mutual collaboration and mutual agreement. 

I am really sorry, Omar. 

bevcam
Community Member

That's a horrible message with definite racist undertones, so you're entitled to be upset. I can't stand the racist and entitled attitudes of some of the people here on UW. 

Report him, but I'd having nothing further to do with him. There's no reason to insult you personally. Cut your losses, let him keep his money and move on. I know it's tough, but you'll get over it.

kirke_
Community Member

Definitely, don't cut your losses but fight for everything that you earned. That is why such people are there, as they know that in 80% freelancers will simply cut their losses.. Don't!

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Omar,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you have with your client.

Our team will review your client further and take proper actions. If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Will (after all those words) I wait for him to approve my money? 

If the job is properly funded and you submitted your work properly there's no harm in waiting to see if he approves the payment. If he doesn't, UW will release the funds automatically after two weeks. If it wasn't fully funded or was manual time there's nothing you can do.

Can he refuse the request during these 15 days although I have made the work as required? What should I do if he does that?

Omar K wrote:

Can he refuse the request during these 15 days although I have made the work as required? What should I do if he does that?

---------------

If he does that, start a dispute and take it ALL the way to arbitration. 

The arbitration cost is about 3 times the amount of money for this stage of the work.

Omar K wrote:
The arbitration cost is about 3 times the amount of money for this stage of the work.

Yes, but if you are the first to pay it, and the client backs out (which the client will do if they are a scammer) - you get your arbitration costs back and  the money in Escrow.

Plus, it need not go as far as that. If it comes to it, dispute and see how it goes. Most disputes never get to the stage where arbitration becomes a thing.

what about his review?  will it affect my profile although he is the wrong side ?

tlbp
Community Member

Yes, with limited exceptions, if a review was given it stays regardless of the outcome of a dispute. 

Tonya P wrote:

Yes, with limited exceptions, if a review was given it stays regardless of the outcome of a dispute. 

I did not reach the message the client has left, but if the public feedback is just a payback for loosing a dispute, I think he can try to have it removed.
https://www.upwork.com/legal#marketplacefeedback:
"In order to protect the integrity of the feedback system and protect Users from abuse, Upwork reserves the right (but is under no obligation) to remove posted feedback or information that, in Upwork’s sole judgment, violates the Terms of Service or negatively affects our marketplace, diminishes the integrity of the feedback system or otherwise is inconsistent with the business interests of Upwork."

omarkhater
Community Member

what are the exceptions?

Omar K wrote:

what about his review?  will it affect my profile although he is the wrong side ?

Yes.

edited to add: Tonya's response is more comprehensive

I want to understand something! How the review of the job is displayed in my profile while I have reported the client with Conclusive evidence and I have filed a dispute!! our reputation is the most valuable thing we have. How is it that easy to play with?

Omar,

Dispute any refusal by the client to release escrowed funds to you.

Read Section 2.1 Release Conditions in this document...

https://www.upwork.com/legal#fp

...and you will see that the client does not automatically get free work from you even if you don't agree to arbitration. Be sure to follow any instructions you get from Upwork EXACTLY in regards to your dispute of the client not releasing escrow.

Good luck. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths