🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My client became completely unresponsive even...
Page options
karkas44
Community Member

My client became completely unresponsive even when I can see them online

Hello,

I have an issue with a job. Probably it's important to note that this was my first job on Upwork. Fortunately, I was hired for another job in just a few days and I already started building my reputation.

Here's what happened:

The job was a review job; the client called it "beta-testing." I was asked to write a review in the slides as to what is missing and what is unclear. Originally, the client asked me if I could have it done my the end of the same hiring day and I agreed on that. That same day, they said it was very good and asked me to please elaborate a little more on some points and I gladly did it. After that, they started to take really long to reply, first 2 days, then 3 days, and now they became completely unresponsive, even when they go online almost every day.  When I sent the file again with the explanations they asked, and they took 2 days to respond, they asked again for further elaboration, I just thought it was really obvious because it kind of actually is. I did what they asked and they thanked me and asked me another unrelated question they didn't ask before. I answered as part of the review in the slide comments and resent them the file. The communication at this point was being very slow because they only gave short answers and then went away. I asked them other questions about the job because they could be of importance to my review and they took again 3 days to reply but didn't say anything about the review. After two days I asked them when they thought we would end the project and they never answered.

Finally, I decided to just add another clarification, because I never really got  a very clear response about that, and then submitted for payment. I told them politely that I was wondering why it was taking so long if they asked me to finish it for the same first day and that the communication became very bad. No answer.  Now it's a week since the last response I got.

I was thinking that they probably wanted to fix the contents and then ask me for a second review, which wouldn't apply for this project because beta tests are only one round. They should publish another job. But I think that things have been wrong since the time they took 2 days to respond even being online.

I know I've written a lot, but I wanted to tell the story so you know the situation and can help me.

My question is: Should I wait for the 14 days for the payment to be automatically made or file for dispute?

This is a very unprofessional and disrespective behavior from a client, and actually from anybody. If a freelancer does that the contract would be terminated the first time they take more than 1 day to respond being online, and they would have a really bad feedback.

Thanks in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fatig
Community Member

If the job was funded, there is no need to file a dispute. It might be a bit rude, but the client doesn't have to respond once the job is done. You're new on Upwork, don't go looking for trouble.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
hardorff
Community Member

"My question is: Should I wait for the 14 days for the payment to be automatically made or file for dispute?"
Just wait the 14 days and you'll be paid.

fatig
Community Member

If the job was funded, there is no need to file a dispute. It might be a bit rude, but the client doesn't have to respond once the job is done. You're new on Upwork, don't go looking for trouble.

re: "My client became completely unresponsive even when I can see them online "

I don't try to determine "when a client is online."

I regard the project as the client's project, not my project. And the timetable is the client's timetable, not mine.

So if I have done my task, and submitted it, then I consider things finished. I know that the money will be released manually by the client, OR automatically by Upwork. And either one of these is acceptable. These are the "rules" that Upwork has established, and if a client does not reply, they are not breaking any rules.

karkas44
Community Member

Thank you all very much for your responses. That's what I needed help with.

About not breaking any rules by not responding. Well, I'm not saying that. But since, as Preston said, it's the client's job, they should be the ones to say that they're satisfied and the job is done, because they could probably have another question or another acceptable requirement. I think they should say that instead of going unresponsive without the freelancer knowing if they are considering the job finished, probably it's not a rule, but would be not a very good thing not to do it. What if I consider the job done after two days without a reply and submit for payment? Then some client could deem that unprofessional and not give me a very good feedback. The other client a had got the file he requested, said it was perfect, ended the contract and released the payment. The main thing here is that they never said it was done I couldn't know if they didn't have any other question. So, in this case, you see they become unresponsive, wait a few days and then decide to submit for payment assuming they're satisfied. Not a very good way of working. 

I understand what you say. Thank you very much. I'll wait for the payment to be automatically released.

petra_r
Community Member

Carlos C wrote:

What if I consider the job done after two days without a reply and submit for payment? Then some client could deem that unprofessional and not give me a very good feedback.

Frankly I do the work and submit the work to the client via the "submit for payment" function when it is done. I don't send the work first and then hang around or wait or whatever.

I never submit work any other way...

karkas44
Community Member

Now that's great advice. I'll take it into account for the future. Thank you very much.

Also, even if you don't have anything to send, I mean a file per se, because you've done what you were supposed to do, I always use that function to let the client know that the work is done! and is the same thing.

Carlos,

Remember that communication is key!

Communicate with your client as much as you can and if they stop responding for a while, also let them know that you will request payment and send the work. 

It's okat to use the function to submit the work and request payment, I use it all the time and never had any issues in many years. Just make sure you communicate and be polite in your communication every step of the way.

No reason for the client to be upset with you and leave bad feedback!

Always be nice and smile to your clients!  Smiley Happy

Best,

Hugo

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members