🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: My client black mail me and start demandi...
Page options
f14fe5fb
Community Member

My client black mail me and start demanding his money back after completion of his project

"Hello
I am a certified professional graphic designer but unfortunately I got a first project from a scammer I was very happy after completion his project he was very happy with my work all evidence are available in my Upwork **Edited for Community Guidelines**.I requested him for good feedback and he said ok sure but in the next day this guy dropped his phone number in **Edited for Community Guidelines**and text me if you need another project please call me on what's app His WhatsApp number is **Edited for Community Guidelines** after watching this its pretty shocking for me that **Edited for Community Guidelines** profile location is from California but he sent me a Pakistani WhatsApp number that time I was excited for my new project from him i just contacted him on his number he started black mailing he said if you did not return my money with extra commission then I will give you a bad feedback which affects my Upwork account but when i started disagreeing he also starts threatening me& he said on call **Edited for Community Guidelines** starts using abusive language then i just blocked him its my request to Upwork Team please notice everything what i mentioned there & in the Upwork help support center I hope it will be very helpful for my new clients and beginner freelancers like me. its my advice never share your contact information with your freelancer/client on PMB if you want to contact with your freelancer/client just use the calling or video calling features of Upwork Thank you"

12 REPLIES 12
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Muhammad,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you`ve had and the inconvenience this has caused you. Our team will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible where you can share more information with us. Our team will investigate the client further and will take proper actions. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you so much am very worried am new freelancer on Upwork please Help
me

Hi Muhammad,

I understand your concern with this and rest assured, our team will assist you via ticket as soon as possible.
I would also suggest to check out the Safety First section here, and learn more about how to protect yourself. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Your response to that feedback is likely to stop any future client from hiring you. 

Upwork won't remove the feedback. What is strange is that all the feedback the client left for all their other freelancers is good... 

Without proof Upwork won't do anything to the client either.

markdw_
Community Member

Hi Petra. I've noticed quite a few of your comments to freelancers are very direct and not particularly helpful. Some, like this one, haven't done anything wrong and your criticism is unwarranted. Might be best to leave it to Upwork staff.  

Mark W wrote:

Some, like this one, haven't done anything wrong  

Are you sure about that?

yes am sure about that and am just going to show some evidence in a hour

Going off the content of this post, as should everybody else - it appears so, yes. It's not on anyone in this thread to go digging and draw their own conclusions unless it directly addresses the issue in hand, which is a new freelancer being blackmailed.

Telling somebody earlier in their career, who's having a tough time, that they'll never be hired again just isn't necessary. Constructive comments would be more useful.   

Mark W wrote:

Going off the content of this post, as should everybody else - it appears so, yes. It's not on anyone in this thread to go digging and draw their own conclusions unless it directly addresses the issue in hand, which is a new freelancer being blackmailed.

You've only heard one side of the story, so aren't you drawing conclusions as well? Unfortunately I'm not allowed to explain myself further because according to Upwork, stealing portfolio pieces is fine, but reporting someone for stealing portfolio pieces isn't allowed.

Mark W wrote:

Hi Petra. I've noticed quite a few of your comments to freelancers are very direct and not particularly helpful

Mark, the OP is likely beyond help, but hopefully it'll help other people to understand that badly thought out rants as responses to feedback are a bad idea.

Mark W wrote:

Some, like this one, haven't done anything wrong 

You approve of submitting stuff from the internet as original work?

We only have one side of the story... The client never had a problem with any of his other freelancers... Don't you think that's telling? 

Mark W wrote:

It's not on anyone in this thread to go digging and draw their own conclusions   

Says who? I am of the opposite opinion: Only with as many pieces of the puzzle can any conclusion be formed.

The client revceived a stock image. If I was the client, I'd not be thrilled to pay for that either.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

HI All,

This thread will be closed for further replies since it's gone off-topic. Thank you all for sharing your opinions and participating in the discussion. 

~ Goran
Upwork

If you took an illustration from a stock website and sold it to this client, then I can see why he'd be upset.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths