🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My client doesn't answer messages.
Page options
lizgsojoi
Community Member

My client doesn't answer messages.

My client doesn't answer messages. The contract is not finalized. But my client is missing. How can I terminate the contract without affecting my reputation?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don't like the idea of ​​keeping the contract open without working. This does not affect my profile?

No it won't since you were paid.  

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
robin_hyman
Community Member

Liz S wrote:

My client doesn't answer messages. The contract is not finalized. But my client is missing. How can I terminate the contract without affecting my reputation?

Have you been given everything you need to start the project?  Have you submitted anything yet?  Is this a fixed-price or hourly project?  

Don't terminate a contract just yet.  Without payment it will negatively effect your JSS. 

I give you more details.

I started working and everything was ok. At one point the project remained stagnant since the client had to send me an indispensable resource to continue working.

On two occasions I send the resource with errors.

The last message I sent him was to inform him of the error. And since that day no response has been received.

I don't like the idea of ​​keeping the contract open without working. This does not affect my profile?

No it won't since you were paid.  

prestonhunter
Community Member

Liz:

It is important for freelancers to understand that clients are not obligated to answer a freelancer's messages.

If a freelancer uses Upwork properly, then she can ALWAYS get paid for any contract she enters into, even if the client NEVER responds after the contract starts.

If you enter into a contract and do not get paid because the client does not answer, then it means you made a mistake. It means that you need to learn how to start a contract in a way that ensures you will get paid and will be able to close the contract if the client disappears. Please do a search in the Forum or ask us questions if you do not yet understand this.

I am in a contract for hours. For which I have received payment for all my hours worked.

And I have talked to my client before. But for a long time I stopped answering the messages.

But for a long time I stopped answering the messages.

So why should your client now resond to yours?

I see what you mean now, the contract has not been ended by the client and you wish to know whether ending it your side will affect your JSS?

I've ended a few my side after not hearing from the client for a year or so. I don't know if it affected my JSS too much, but I didn't notice any major issue. I have a few that have been open a while and I haven't heard from them since 2017, but I haven't closed them, because I've had incidences where 2 clients came back after 2 years. So now I leave them open. 

Thanks!

re: "I am in a contract for hours. For which I have received payment for all my hours worked."

This means you used Upwork correctly.

You had a real Upwork contract.

You were paid for all of the time that you logged.

You are able to close the contract at any time without having this contract hurt your JSS.

Zero-pay contracts hurt JSS. But if you have been paid, then you can close contracts yourself without any problem. You don't want to make a habit of having contracts with zero feedback, but some won't hurt you.

If the client has disappeared for a long time, then simply close the contract. There is no problem here.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members