🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: My client doesn't know how to use upwork
Page options
p_zimovski
Community Member

My client doesn't know how to use upwork

Hi,
I am really confused. (I've tried to read about this a lot to understand what's going on before posting this)
last week I had two clients. both of them don't know how to use upwork.
the first client had a 4 hrs task that I did input manually. and the other one was logged by tracker.
so the first client was happy and closed the contract. but I didn't get paid and the money was in (in progress). and everyone was telling me I had to wait for monday.
it's monday already, the money from both clients moved from (in progress) to (in review). so the second client contacted me and told me she doesn't know how to approve payments. the first one just disappeared. the question now is. why I didn't get paid when the coract was closed? (do I have to explain why it's idiotic that I should wait till monday when the contract has already ended?), and isn't upwork supposed to tutor clients on how things work? I don't know how to explain this to her on my end!.

7 REPLIES 7
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Mohammed,

When you work on hourly contracts your clients are billed each Monday for the time tracked in the previous week. To learn more how you`re getting paid on hourly contracts check out this Guide.

Please keep in mind that manual time is not protected under our Upwork Hourly Protection. If you need further help with your contracts, please reach out to me via PM with the contract ID's or titles. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Mohammed, you and your client don't have to do anything.  It will happen automatically.

Hi Mary,
yes this is what I've been told. thank you for replying.

tlbp
Community Member

It would appear that you do not know how to use Upwork. You should find out before you make a mistake that actually will prevent you from being paid.

For a new freelancer, it is a valid choice to NOT work for new clients who don't know how to use Upwork. It is a sort of "blind leading the blind" situation.

New client and new freelancer CAN work out if you're patient... But be prepared for a few bumps along the way.

p_zimovski
Community Member

Hi Tonya,

it appears that you didn't understand the post. both clients were constantly asking me on how hourly payment works and why upwork is not drawing money from their credit cards. and I didn't know too. so I tried to read about it. but all I found was the guid that was mentioned in the first reply. which was useless. it only explains to me that I have to be as patient as Job, and if I didn't get paid that's my fault. so I reached and asked for help.
nevertheless you are right, sometimes I feel I don't know how upwork works. but it's not my job to know all about upwork.

Mohammed A wrote:

Hi Tonya,

it appears that you didn't understand the post. both clients were constantly asking me on how hourly payment works and why upwork is not drawing money from their credit cards. and I didn't know too. so I tried to read about it. but all I found was the guid that was mentioned in the first reply. which was useless. it only explains to me that I have to be as patient as Job, and if I didn't get paid that's my fault. so I reached and asked for help.
nevertheless you are right, sometimes I feel I don't know how upwork works. but it's not my job to know all about upwork.

Don't let it worry you too much. Many of my clients are new to Upwork and need a tiny bit of handholding to help them set things up.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths