🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My client doesn't login in to upwork. What sh...
Page options
gamjasvili-laris
Community Member

My client doesn't login in to upwork. What should I do?

One month ago someone hired me for a project( in advanced level) and fund it. The project is a branding project and it needs lots of communications to create and build a brand character and appearance!

But my client was online after one week, then 2 week and now I can't find him. I asked him to comment on my work and He said (2 weeks ago) he is busy with easter holidays or kids etc ! It make me worried that maybe it would lower my job success which is 100%.What should I do?

1- Should I upload anything I have done yet, and assure him that I will continue his job even after 10 years! (which I will absolutely do) but I just want this project to reach somewhere.
2- Should I quite the project and tell him I'm sorry and explain the reason?
3-Should I do nothing and continue this way of working? ( I will give an small comment every 2 or 3 week! and finish the entire project after maybe 6 month and bad result because of lack of communication) ?

Please help me. Thank you.

P.s/ What will happens if he never answer?! So should I upload whatever I have done?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Have you completed the work product that is covered by the first milestone? If so, formally submit it (assuming it has been fully funded by the client) and wait up to 14 days to get paid. Then let the client know you will wait for further communications with him before doing more work, and don't do more work until the next milestone is agreed by the two of you and fully funded by the client.

If you cannot complete the work you know is needed to fulfill the first milestone because getting that done still "needs lots of communications" with the client, tell the client where things stand and what you need from him to complete the work for Milestone 1. Do not submit incomplete work without further communication with the client, as that would allow him to take that work and then cancel the project.

If you don't hear from him for a month or so, then you need to start considering closing the project. If you do that, tell the client you'll be happy to re-start whenever he's ready (whether or not that's true) and then forget about him unless you hear from him again.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Is this project hourly or fixed price?

This is fixed price and is funded before.

Have you completed the work product that is covered by the first milestone? If so, formally submit it (assuming it has been fully funded by the client) and wait up to 14 days to get paid. Then let the client know you will wait for further communications with him before doing more work, and don't do more work until the next milestone is agreed by the two of you and fully funded by the client.

If you cannot complete the work you know is needed to fulfill the first milestone because getting that done still "needs lots of communications" with the client, tell the client where things stand and what you need from him to complete the work for Milestone 1. Do not submit incomplete work without further communication with the client, as that would allow him to take that work and then cancel the project.

If you don't hear from him for a month or so, then you need to start considering closing the project. If you do that, tell the client you'll be happy to re-start whenever he's ready (whether or not that's true) and then forget about him unless you hear from him again.

Thank you so much for your reply. That really helped me. But final question: If after one month I don't hear from him, ( I didn't understand this part) : Close the project ? Or assuming it is close and don't pay attention to open contract?
Does closing a project reduce my job success score or not? If so, It is not wise to cancel it, So I have to bear the unfinished contract forever!!! Am I right?!
Thank you so much. I quess your answer would be the final solution , thankss

Larisa G wrote:

Does closing a project reduce my job success score or not?

No, it does not.

The contract won't hurt your JSS unless the client leaves poor feedback.

Larisa,

This morning I will send a message similar to the following to some clients I haven't heard from for at least a month, which is something I do a few times a year. There is nothing magic about a month, but that should have been plenty of time for the client to reply to the two or three follow-up messages I have sent to the client in the meantime without any reply.

"Hi, _______.

I hope your project is moving forward. It has been a while since we last talked.

It is difficult for me to win new projects on Upwork if it appears I have a lot of “active” projects, so I need to confirm inactive projects from time to time.

If you’d like me to do any additional work for you in the next couple of weeks, please let me know and I’ll be ready to get re-started whenever it suits you.

If you do not expect you will want me to get back to work for you in the foreseeable future, please close the project. If you decide to close it, you can easily re-start it or you can invite me to a new project at any time.

Thanks,

Will"

My JSS will update this coming Sunday, so I will close each of these projects that the client has not replied to shortly before the two-week JSS period ends my Saturday evening. This means these clients will have the entire next JSS period to reply. Historically, I very rarely hear from such clients again and they don't leave feedback.

Good luck with your own approach to this common problem.

Thank youu Will, Your sample letter really helped me. Thank youuu so much

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths