Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My client doesn't want to pay me and doesn't allow me to log my hours manually

yaroncnk
Yaron C Member Since: Mar 5, 2021
1 of 8

Hi, 

I signed a contract to work for a client on an ongoing basis for $20 an hour. 

I've asked him many times to allow me access to the diary so I can log my hours but he never did it, and I worked 8 hours in total. Now he said he doesn't want to pay the full amount but only 50% of it because he "is not going to use some of my work". Since he didn't give me access to the diary I can't dispute anything and I'm literally stuck now. 

What can I do?

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
2 of 8

Yaron C wrote:

Hi, 

I signed a contract to work for a client on an ongoing basis for $20 an hour. 

I've asked him many times to allow me access to the diary so I can log my hours but he never did it, and I worked 8 hours in total. Now he said he doesn't want to pay the full amount but only 50% of it because he "is not going to use some of my work". Since he didn't give me access to the diary I can't dispute anything and I'm literally stuck now. 

What can I do?

There seems to be an error on your part. There is no "access" to the work diary. If it was an hourly contract, you would have downloaded the time tracker, and hit "on" when you worked. The client does not have a choice. When you look under your contracts in Upwork do you actually have a contract listed there? We don't really "sign"  contracts in Upwork, you "accept"  a contract. So if you signed something, but don't have a contract under My Contracts, then you don't have a contract in Upwork. 

If it's fixed price then hours don't get logged and you simply submit the work for payment using the "Submit"  button. 

If you don't actually have a contract then there is nothing you can do except stop working for him and find a new client and get a real contract this time. 

malikubaid4
Ace Contributor
Malik U Member Since: Feb 11, 2021
3 of 8

If it was an hourly contract then there are no authorities given to the client to let the freelancers turn the tracker on. As the hourly contract gets started, the desktop automatically detects that.

If it's the case that client verbally told you not to turn the tracker on and you followed his advice. then you open a ticket or dispute and show screenshots to the support agent. maybe they can resolve.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 8

Malik U wrote:

If it was an hourly contract then there are no authorities given to the client to let the freelancers turn the tracker on. As the hourly contract gets started, the desktop automatically detects that.

If it's the case that client verbally told you not to turn the tracker on and you followed his advice. then you open a ticket or dispute and show screenshots to the support agent. maybe they can resolve.

no

yaroncnk
Yaron C Member Since: Mar 5, 2021
5 of 8
So, I checked my correspondence.
He didn't give me access to the manual tracking 3 times and he ignored me. Instead, he asked to pay me all hours as "bonus" at the end.

I didn't even know I had the option to use the auto tracker. I sent all of this to Upwork.
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 8

Yaron C wrote:
I didn't even know I had the option to use the auto tracker. 

Then you failed to inform yourself of the very basics. 

Using the tracker is how hourly contracts work by default.

Yaron C wrote:
 I sent all of this to Upwork.

Pointless. If you don't use the tracker, there is nothing Upwork can or would do.

You have two options:

1. Accept whatever the client is willing to pay you

2. Get paid nothing

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 8

re: "What can I do?"

Yaron:

What you can do us to learn from your mistakes and never make those same mistakes again in the future.

The important problems with this contract all came from the freelancer. Not the client.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 8

re: "He didn't give me access to the manual tracking 3 times and he ignored me. Instead, he asked to pay me all hours as "bonus" at the end. I didn't even know I had the option to use the auto tracker. I sent all of this to Upwork."

It does not matter that you sent all this to Upwork.

Bonus payments are strictly on the honor system and are not enforced by Upwork.

If the client promises that she will pay you $500 for creating a certain file, and you create that file and deliver it to her, and then she pays you nothing...

Then the matter is over as far as Upwork is concerned.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS