🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My client gave me a raise and we started a ne...
Page options
nicoleintal
Community Member

My client gave me a raise and we started a new contract

I have a new contract (different hourly rate) with my client, do I just end the other one by using "End Contract"? If yes, can I request for feedback? This will be the first contract I will end and I want to build by JSS. Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Nicole I wrote:

I have a new contract (different hourly rate) with my client, do I just end the other one by using "End Contract"? If yes, can I request for feedback? This will be the first contract I will end and I want to build by JSS. Thank you!

It is better if you let the client end the contract. The party that ends the contract first HAS to leave feedback, the other party can, but doesn't have to. 

Contracts without feedback don't hurt your JSS (ever), they just don't look good on a profile. And optics - among many other things - is what counts towards getting more clients. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
delvinlosper
Community Member

Thanks so much!

Delvin L wrote:

Yes, If you and your client have both agreed that the job on that contract has successfully been completed or in your case, you've signed a new contract.

Closing a Contract and receiving feedback from your client on it won't hurt your JSS.

If the freelancer closes the contract one time and the client does NOT leave any feedback, it's fine. One time is not going to hurt.

But what if it is many times? What if there is a pattern?

The truth is:

If a freelancer's work history shows a pattern of contracts with no feedback from the client... If the number of zero-feedback contracts is too high relative to the number of contracts that DO have client feedback... then the freelancer WILL see their Job Success Score decline.

Except it isn't the truth. Don't spread false information. 

Delvin L wrote:

Closing a Contract and receiving feedback from your client on it won't hurt your JSS.

That depends on the feedback that was left.

Delvin L wrote:

The truth is:

If a freelancer's work history shows a pattern of contracts with no feedback from the client... If the number of zero-feedback contracts is too high relative to the number of contracts that DO have client feedback... then the freelancer WILL see their Job Success Score decline.

No. They will not. Absolutely untrue.  "The truth is" that it has no effect. Zero. None. Zilch.

Thank you, Petra!
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Nicole I wrote:

It is better if you let the client end the contract. The party that ends the contract first HAS to leave feedback, the other party can, but doesn't have to. 

Contracts without feedback don't hurt your JSS (ever), they just don't look good on a profile. And optics - among many other things - is what counts towards getting more clients. 

Got it, I'll just ask him to end the contract from his side. Thank you for this, Martina!
researchediting
Community Member

Glad to see you listening to more informed voices. You might want to consider unmarking the misinformation as a solution.

To amplify Martina's point: You don't have to ask for feedback when you ask a client to close a contract. Many of us believe it's not only unnecessary, but poor form to do so—and if done badly, can backfire.

Yes, I was actually tryting to figure out how to change the marked solution. Let me try again. Thanks, Douglas!
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members