🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I would like to report a client for fraud and...
Page options
keranovic_nikola
Community Member

My client got limited transaction status when i was supposed to clear milestone

I applied for a job and after a day proposal got read so we started talking.

We agreed on milestone terms and after milestone 1 was cleared he will hire me and grant that 1 proposal

funding so we can continue work on the project.

Today, right as I was supposed to be paid my client got transaction limited status and I cannot get paid at all

and my client cannot contact UpWork.

Is this some sort of elaborate UpWork scheme to not grant me money for my work, or possible client scam.

I had good UpWork start a year ago and I stopped because of work, I try so hard to get a job on UpWork after being profile privated and got a job.

Now I am supposed to exit private status and start earning again on UpWork and this happens.

Seems really convinient for someone, of course, except for me.

Please try resolving these issues.

Thank you for your time and best wishes

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Nikola,

Unfortunately I can`t share details for another user, but I can confirm that our team is working with your client on resolving the issue on their end.

In addition to the guides I`ve shared below, I can also suggest to check out the Safety First section on this Thread. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Nikola,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you.

I checked your account and I can see that you were never hired on an official contract. In order to be eligible for our Upwork Payment Protection you will need to be hired on a official contract and fulfill the criteria required. Upwork Payment Protection consists of two sub-programs: Protection for hourly contracts and fixed price contracts. To learn more how you`re protected under our Fixed Price Protection check out this Guide, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

If you read my post to detail you would see our agreement for first milestone and then hire and payment.

It is completely reasonable to check quality of freelancer and then hire them.

Client is unable to hire me now because of restrictions held on his account.

I would like you to check clients account for problems and confirm my suspicion,

you know which client since you have all message available and all proposals on my account.

I am interested, what is your suggestion to resolve this issue?

Thank you.

Hi Nikola,

Unfortunately I can`t share details for another user, but I can confirm that our team is working with your client on resolving the issue on their end.

In addition to the guides I`ve shared below, I can also suggest to check out the Safety First section on this Thread. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I never asked for you to give me clients info, that would be stupid.

I asked about the thing you answered now, and that clients problem is being resolved.

I have some knowledge about UpWork and how it works, but I will expand that and check out forum further for more information.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Nikola K wrote:

our agreement for first milestone and then hire and payment.

That is not how Upwork works, that is how scammers work. The client probably cheated other freelancers the same way. That may be why they are suspended.

No hire - no money in escrow - not much hope of ever getting paid.

Nikola K wrote:

I have some knowledge about UpWork and how it works

If you did, you'd never have fallen for some hare-brained "do work first, then get hired" scheme...

If he is aa scammer then that is UpWorks problem actually.

Client has good track record, good reviews and it does not seem as a scammer.

Do work first is completely viable idea for test purposes, client can figure out is freelancer capable of doing work required upfront.

I am aware of hare-brained scheme, as client did not get code I worked on because I forsee every client as a potential scammer.

Thank you for your input, it was helpful.

Nikola K wrote:

Do work first is completely viable idea for test purposes, client can figure out is freelancer capable of doing work required upfront.

Ah ok. That is more hopeful then, but still, it is a bad idea to work without a contract, and is really asking for free work from the client, which is a violation of the terms of service.

Nikola K wrote:

If he is aa scammer then that is UpWorks problem actually.

I am aware of hare-brained scheme, as client did not get code I worked on because I forsee every client as a potential scammer.

Thank you for your input, it was helpful.

A client can have a great history and many hires, and still be a scammer. Nobody knows how many freelancers he did not hire that did free work for him like yourself, therefore having no chance of leaving honest feedback for him. A low hiring rate is one indicator that he posts many jobs without hiring. That could be due to him having changed his mind, hiring on a different platform, or having no intention of ever hiring anybody because he gets the work for free anyway. 

Asking for free work is expressly forbidden and next time you come across that you better report the client for it. 

Yes, sadly, that can be a possiblity too. Hiring rate is around 60% so it seems that scamming is not clients intention, he actually has real projects that are done and work has been paid.

Maybe I a looking subjectively since my pay is on the line but I think I am pretty objective.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you again.

I posted, earlier today, a question about client being unable to grant me first milestone and hire me

but after that he repeatedly asked me to take paypal money or get payed from other UpWork account.

He even said to me: "if you do not want to do this, send me source code and I will find another developer". Of course I did not send him the source code.

With this disgusting revalation I am finally 100% sure this is a scam and this client should be banned or warned.

Maybe his account was hacked, quite possible, but that is not my problem.

I would like to talk to customer support(actual people, not a bot) to provide needed evidence and finally solve this problem since i cannot manually file a ticket, it always sends me on this community forum.

Thank you for your time and work.

In the top right hand corner of each job posting, there is a "Flag as inappropriate" button/link.

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 10.05.11 AM.png

You may use that to report issues such as this. There are SPECIFIC options for reporting a client asking for free work AND for reporting a client who asks you to get paid off of the platform.

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 10.05.43 AM.png

I did that already on clients main account but it transfered me here to make a new ticket instead of sending it directly.

Now I created another one for flagging his probable second account but it passed for some reason when i set it as a fraud.

Hopefully we can resolve this.

Thank you for your time.

Hi Nikola,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report, including screenshots. I'll share with our team for further investigation.

Please, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

re: "I would like to talk to customer support(actual people, not a bot) to provide needed evidence and finally solve this problem since i cannot manually file a ticket, it always sends me on this community forum."

It does not seem to me that this is necessary. The "Flag as inappropriate" has applicable options AND a free-form text field in which you can describe what happened.

Also, you have described your situation here in the Forum, which is read and monitored by Upwork employees including Moderators.

Is there something else that we're missing?

re: "I did that already on clients main account but it transfered me here to make a new ticket instead of sending it directly. Now I created another one for flagging his probable second account but it passed for some reason when i set it as a fraud. Hopefully we can resolve this."

It appears you have already gone above and beyond in trying to help the Upwork community, and they now have the report and information. I don't believe you are under any obligation to do more if you are simply trying to warn others and help the Community.

Was there anything else pending with regards to your specific account?

Everything is okay, I just wanted to warn everyone since there are people who are being interviewed by same client on other account and I want to stop this from happening.

I did not get my pay for work that I finished and there is no help there sadly, but I do not want to let him ruin other hard working freelancers time and effort because he is astonihingly bad human being that does not have a bit of respect for people who provide quality work for him.

That is it, sorry if I am being pushy or rude.

I am just trying to help and stop this.

Thank you again.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths