🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My client hasn't left me feedback, and I have...
Page options
annee_c
Community Member

My client hasn't left me feedback, and I haven't been asked to leave him feedback either

I completed a job on June 1st and I still have not received feedback from my client. This was my first job, so I'm not sure how this works. I thought that clients were required to leave feedback, and I also thought that the website would ask me to leave feedback, but neither of which have happened, to my knowledge. Am I missing something?

3 REPLIES 3
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Hi, Annee, welcome to UW! 

Feedback is left when the contract is closed. Either the client or the FL can close a contract. Whoever closes it is required to leave fb and the other party is notified of the closure and invited to leave fb within 14 days. Neither can see the other's fb until both have left theirs or until 14 days elapses, whichever comes first. It is preferable for the FL if the client closes the contract because the process requires them to leave fb. If the FL closes it, the client may or may not respond to the notification and return to leave their own fb. 

It's tricky getting inattentive/busy clients to go ahead and close the contract because it's generally considered poor form to mention feedback to them. You might send a message like this: "Thanks for the opportunity to work on your x project. If you won't be needing anything else, you can go ahead and close the contract. If you need me in the future, it's a one-click process to re-hire me." If they don't respond to that, you then have to decide whether to close it yourself and hope they'll leave fb; or just let it be. Closed contracts with no client fb are potentially a liability if you accumulate too many of them (as a percentage of all your closed contracts). Nobody knows what constitutes "too many", so it's best to avoid them when possible. An open contract where you earned any money at all doesn't hurt you if it just sits there.

Thank you. I don't remember who closed the contract, but I have never received any notification asking to give my client feedback. I just checked my notifications and I have none. 

petra_r
Community Member

Annee C wrote:

Thank you. I don't remember who closed the contract, but I have never received any notification asking to give my client feedback. I just checked my notifications and I have none. 

The job appears to still be open.

Encourage your client to end the contract, that way you will get feedback automatically without having to ask for it.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members