🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: My client is trying to scam me
Page options
mabel_olamide
Community Member

My client is trying to scam me

This is not the first time this is happening and I think it’s becoming common.
I wrote a book for a client, sent her everything. Did all the corrections required and now she doesn’t want to pay my balance. She paid 50% and is now refusing to pay the rest. She claims the content is plagiarized and I have checked using copyscape and grammarly and it shows 0% plagiarism.

I’ll like to file a dispute against her but I don’t how. Can someone guide me through this.
13 REPLIES 13
petra_r
Community Member

Olamide M wrote:
I’ll like to file a dispute against her but I don’t how. Can someone guide me through this.

Are the remaining 50% funded and in escrow? You can only dispute what's left in escrow.

Yes, $300 is in escrow

Try and work it out with the client. If the client does not budge, you may have to contact suoport to dispute. But submit against the milestone anyway to follow the process correctly.

I’ve tried to do that but she is not responding. I might have to contact support.

Yeah, sounds like the client is just trying to make it go away hoping you don't take action after launching isome ntimidating accusations.

As Petra suggested, you have a good claim for a dispute. The client is being dishonest and immoral by avoiding you.

But first, make sure you've used the Submit Work button and have waited for 14 days. If the client does nothing, the money will be released to you. If the client disputes it, you can feel confident in responding to it.

So, if I understood correctly, you don't need to do anything except wait those 14 days of the submission to pass. (Unless you didn't press the right button yet, in that case do it now.)

She split it into three different milestones. She has not activated the
last milestone yet so I can’t submit any work.

Ouch. Then you have nothing you could possibly dispute. 😬

Better luck next time. Or rather, follow the process more carefully in the future.

NOW it sounds like the client knows exactly how the system works and is utilizing the process to her advantage.

So you're saying she's about to get $300 worth of free work from you?

Olamide M wrote:
She split it into three different milestones. She has not activated the
last milestone yet so I can’t submit any work.

Then how are there $300 in Escrow?

Can you talk us through how that happened?

kinector
Community Member

Petra, I suspect Olamide might have been seeing what she was hoping to see: $300 in the escrow when in reality it was $0.

It can happen to the best of us. Everyone has a weak moment.
petra_r
Community Member

Mikko R wrote:
Petra, I suspect Olamide might have been seeing what she was hoping to see: $300 in the escrow when in reality it was $0.

It can happen to the best of us. Everyone has a weak moment.

There are ways there can be money in escrow without an active milestone. The outcome depends on how that happened and how those escrow funds ended up floating ...(request of a partial milestone or release of partial funds).

I'd rather find out what happened than accuse the OP of weak moment and seeing what she is hoping to see.

kinector
Community Member

I'd rather pull out Petra's famous, much worshipped, and otherwise just totally awesome Where Is My Money illustration that happens to be one of the most informative and aesthetically pleasing creation this forum has ever seen.

Now would be a good time... 👍

She funded $600 for the project, then split into 3 milestones of $150, $150 and $300. She has activated and approved the first two milestones but has not activated the last one

Olamide M wrote:
She funded $600 for the project, then split into 3 milestones of $150, $150 and $300. She has activated and approved the first two milestones but has not activated the last one

Then why did you hand over the work for the 3rd milestone?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths