🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My client refused to pay after work delivered...
Page options
de445830
Community Member

My client refused to pay after work delivered. What to do ?

Hello team! I need your help. My client has refused to pay after delivered work. Kindly help please.

He has withdrawn

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
williamtcooper
Community Member

Merveille,

Did you submit your work via Upwork? If so you automatically get paid in 14 days unless the client asks for a revision. Have a great day!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
williamtcooper
Community Member

Merveille,

Did you submit your work via Upwork? If so you automatically get paid in 14 days unless the client asks for a revision. Have a great day!

Of course, I submitted on Upwrok. Kindly resolve this issue as soon as possible. Thanks !

Unless the client asks for a revision, Upwork will automatically pay in 14 days regardless of what a client is saying to you. A new client might not know those are the rules.

That is not true. I completed a job, and submitted it through Upwork, the payment was transferred to my account but was not yet cleared. Days later AFTER the payment showed that it was cleared in my account, I received a notice from Upwork that the payment was reversed by the bank and was being withdrawn from my account. 

I contacted the client, he denies reversing the payment, Upwotk claims it was his bank that issued the credit card. The end result was that I was out a few hours of work for which I was never paid. 

Upwork DID NOT GUARANTEE THE PAYMENT. The kicker is that the client is still on Upwork.  This job was on a Project off my Project Dashboard which specifically notes to the Freelancer - "Upwork Payment Protection

Fund the project upfront. Daniel gets paid once you are satisfied with the work."   

This is absolutely not true otherwise I would have been paid for the work that I did, not left in the wilderness trying to collect off a client alone, (which I was never able to do). 

Daniel D wrote:

That is not true. I completed a job, and submitted it through Upwork, the payment was transferred to my account but was not yet cleared. Days later AFTER the payment showed that it was cleared in my account, I received a notice from Upwork that the payment was reversed by the bank and was being withdrawn from my account. 

I contacted the client, he denies reversing the payment, Upwotk claims it was his bank that issued the credit card. The end result was that I was out a few hours of work for which I was never paid. 

Upwork DID NOT GUARANTEE THE PAYMENT. The kicker is that the client is still on Upwork.  This job was on a Project off my Project Dashboard which specifically notes to the Freelancer - "Upwork Payment Protection

Fund the project upfront. Daniel gets paid once you are satisfied with the work."   

This is absolutely not true otherwise I would have been paid for the work that I did, not left in the wilderness trying to collect off a client alone, (which I was never able to do). 

The only payment protection that exists on Upwork is for hourly work, and if all the rules are followed correctly.

On the other hand, is the client, not Upwork, that has made a chargeback. It may also be, I think, that the card is stolen. So it is the real owner of the card who made the chargeback when he saw that he was charged for something that he did not buy.
All Upwork can do here is help you refute the chargeback.
I don't know if it works the same for projects.

Projects especially say that payment is guaranteed. the note to the buyer is "Upwork Payment Protection

Fund the project upfront. Daniel gets paid once you are satisfied with the work. " with a little official-looking shield symbol. Ir tells the freelancer that they are protected by Upwork Payment Protection. This means to me that Upwork is guaranteeing the payment not that almost 2 weeks later the buyer or bank can reverse the payment. 

With fixed price projects, Upwork does deduct the payment and keeps it in escrow, and provides dispute mediation and arbitration. However, if the client decides to request a chargeback from their bank or credit card provider, very little can be done - on Upwork or on any other website. It's a risk of doing business.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths