🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My client refused to pay the full amount even...
Page options
almukhambetov
Community Member

My client refused to pay the full amount even so I did my job perfectly

My client asked me to translate 4 documents and we divided the project into four milestones.

When I started the work, a member of his team decided to translate one of the documents. He did not warn me and his boss about it in advance. Strange, but I got 3 more documents to go.

I translated the remaining 3 texts, but the client paid me only for two and refused to pay for the third translation.
As it turned out, he gave me outdated versions of documents for translation. And since they are not updated, he does not need my translations. So he closed the contract and not responding anymore.
But I did my job. And it is not my fault that I was given these documents.

Question: Can I ask Upwork to debit the amount that he owes me from the client's account?
We corresponded through Slack, I have confirmation of his refusal to pay me.

I have described everything briefly. In fact, the client behaved very arrogantly and disgusting.

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "My client refused to pay the full amount even so I did my job perfectly"

Then that client is behaving unprofessinally, unethically, and immorally.

That client hired you to do a task.
And you did the task.

And then the client wants to NOT PAY you??

That doesn't make sense.

Would YOU do that to another person?

I don't think that you would do that.

re: "Question: Can I ask Upwork to debit the amount that he owes me from the client's account?"

No.

Nail: If you did the task, then you should get paid.
The money is in escrow. The client can not get the money back unless you authorize a refund.

Don't authorize a refund.

Hi Preston.

Yeah, we agreed on a flat rate of $0.05 per word. I had to translate the remaining 3 texts (7725 words, $386 in total). He paid me $250 only. I kindly asked to pay the rest of the amount.

He asked how many hours did I spend?

Around 10-12 hours, I replied.

He said, "Your advertised rate is $20 an hour, so you are overpaid already".

WTH?

Nail:

I sense that you are disappointed.

But the client has already paid you what was in escrow, right?

If so, then this is over.

If there is no money in escrow right now, then there is nothing you can do. There is nothing to dispute.

My advice to you is to not work for this client any further.

Nail,

It isn't much help after the fact, but in the future do not work on a milestone until it is fully funded and the client has funded and released all previous miletones.

And only submit to the client completed (or nearly completed) work for a fully-funded milestone using the green "Submit" button on the Upwork project page. The client then has 14 days to review the work, as for any changes (if applicable). Do not re-submit the work using that "Submit" button; that re-starts the 14-day approval/automatic payment period.

If you first submit your completed work using any means other than formal submission via Upwork, the client can take your work, cancel the project and you have no recourse through Upwork to every get paid.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members