🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My client stopped responding and didn't pay h...
Page options
6e1b7915
Community Member

My client stopped responding and didn't pay half the money.

Hello community!
My client stopped responding and didn't pay half the money. The work consisted of two milestones. At the first milestone, the client deposited money and I sent the corresponding part of the work. Everything was fine. At the second milestone, I sent the work without the client depositing money. She promised that she would check my work and did not answer, disappeared. She is't also active on social media. I don't know how I feel about this. Was I scammed or did something bad happen to my client? May I name a client here. On Upwork, she is registered under a pseudonym. Was that supposed to alert me? It was her first Upwork job. What does the community think about this?
In any case, the distribution of this information by me will benefit the rest.Thanks for your comments. Leon.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the reply Preston.
You dissected me like a lab technician dissects a toad.
I agree with many of the statements and disagree with some. With your cold attitude towards work, I won't be able to get works in the future. I'm not interested in single work. I get more work by trusting the client. And most understand me.
A cultural difference.
And if this is indeed a scam, then this is the first time I have been scammed via Upwork. I expected to hear stories like my story. If there are none, then I'm right more. Sorry.
Your ansvers is valuable to me. Thanks for Your attention Preston. Best wishes  Leon

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "My client stopped responding"

It doesn't matter if a client stop responding.

Clients are not required to respond.

I get paid for all of my work whether or not a client responds.

re: "and didn't pay half the money."

If you feel that you did not get paid something because a client did not respond, then it means that you (the freelancer) made a mistake in how you used the Upwork system.

This is GOOD NEWS.

It is good because it means that YOU HAVE THE POWER.

All you need to do is learn what your mistake is, and not make that same mistake again in the future.

re: "My client stopped responding and didn't pay half the money. The work consisted of two milestones. At the first milestone, the client deposited money and I sent the corresponding part of the work. Everything was fine. At the second milestone, I sent the work without the client depositing money"

Why did you do that?

You're not supposed to do that.

You are not supposed to work on a milestone until the client has funded the escrow payment for it.

re: "She promised that she would check my work and did not answer, disappeared."

Promises don't count.

Funded escrow payment is what counts.

A client who "disappears" has not violated any Upwork rules.

re: "She isn't also active on social media."

I would never check to see if a client is "active on social media."

Isn't that a "stalker move?"

(Note that I'm not accusing you of stalking anyone. I'm asking a question.)

You should know that it is a violation of Upwork ToS for a freelancer to look up on social media or look up contact information using a search engine such as Google and then contact the client using that information or social media platform. Making contact with a client that way is not allowed, and if a freelancer is caught doing that, the freelancer could be suspended or otherwise penalized by Upwork.

A freelancer may ONLY contact a client via social media or other methods if the client provides the contact information to the client and invites the freelancer to contact her using that method.

re: "I don't know how I feel about this."

I know how you feel about this.

You are not happy about it.

You feel that the client promised to pay you some money for doing some work. You did the work, and you didn't get the money.

But the important thing to learn from this experience is:

"Don't work on unfunded milestones."

re: "Was I scammed or did something bad happen to my client?"

Maybe the client died.

re: "May I name a client here."

No.

Naming the client here would be a violation of Community Forum rules. And Upwork would censor the name from your post.

And anyway: We don't know her. So it wouldn't do any good to name her. Millions of people use Upwork. Upwork users who visit the Forum don't know all of the clients who use the platform.

re: "On Upwork, she is registered under a pseudonym. Was that supposed to alert me?"

Honestly? I don't care about clients' names. I focus on the work.

A client could be named "Sassafrass Moonjumper" and I wouldn't care. I care about what the client asks me to do and I care about the fact that they pay me money.

Leonid:
Don't feel bad about this!

LOTS of inexperienced freelancers make the same mistake.

Just chalk it up to experience and move on.

Thanks for the reply Preston.
You dissected me like a lab technician dissects a toad.
I agree with many of the statements and disagree with some. With your cold attitude towards work, I won't be able to get works in the future. I'm not interested in single work. I get more work by trusting the client. And most understand me.
A cultural difference.
And if this is indeed a scam, then this is the first time I have been scammed via Upwork. I expected to hear stories like my story. If there are none, then I'm right more. Sorry.
Your ansvers is valuable to me. Thanks for Your attention Preston. Best wishes  Leon

Leonid K wrote:

And if this is indeed a scam, then this is the first time I have been scammed via Upwork. I expected to hear stories like my story. 

There are lots of stories like yours, i.e. freelancers who worked on an unfunded milestone and never got paid. There are at least one or two of these people seeking advice in the forum every single day. If you want to trust your clients and send the work without the money being in escrow, then you need to understand that you're taking a risk and leaving yourself open to not getting paid. 

Leonid K wrote:

With your cold attitude towards work, I won't be able to get works in the future. I'm not interested in single work. I get more work by trusting the client. And most understand me.
A cultural difference.

I don't think that wanting to protect yourself and ensure that you get paid is a "cultural difference". I always insist that milestones are funded before I begin working, and no client - anywhere in the world - has ever cancelled a project or stopped giving me repeat business just because I wanted to follow the correct procedures. When you're working with total strangers on the Internet, you probably will get scammed at some point if you're too trusting. Just because you've been lucky up until now, doesn't mean that it won't happen again in the future.

Hi Christine, 

Thanks for responding to this. So may I ask what the proper procedure is for someone who's not using the app to track their hours (and is instead entering it manually)? 

Would the structure be:
- Send a proposal
- Set milestones (and don't start working on the project until the first milestone is paid for
- Continue working on the project as long as each milestone is paid ahead of time

I'm just curious as to how this should work in order to protect ourselves. I had something similar happen to me recently and I wasn't even aware we should be paid before we complete the project. 

If we go about being paid this way, how should we handle any issues/concerns someone may have with our work? I put my all into my work, but sometimes the client is looking for something different. How many edits/revisions should we be open to?

Thanks in advance!

petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer W wrote:

Thanks for responding to this. So may I ask what the proper procedure is for someone who's not using the app to track their hours (and is instead entering it manually)?

On hourly contracts, there are no milestones and if you don't use the tracker, there is no protection of any kind at all.

Jennifer W wrote:

Would the structure be:
- Send a proposal
- Set milestones (and don't start working on the project until the first milestone is paid for
- Continue working on the project as long as each milestone is paid ahead of time

No, it is not about milestones being "paid for" - it's about milestones being funded (totally different thing)

The structure (for fixed-rate contracts ONLY) is

• you send the proposal
  • the client hires you and funds the first milestone into escrow
  • you complete the work for the first milestone
  • you submit the work for payment
  • the client checks the work and releases the escrow funds or requests changes
  • the client sets up and funds the next milestone
  • you do the work
  • you submit and so on and so on.

How many edits/revisions should we be open to?

However many you and the client agreed to prior to accepting the contract

Jennifer W wrote:

So may I ask what the proper procedure is for someone who's not using the app to track their hours (and is instead entering it manually)? 

If you get hired for an hourly project, there's no option to fund milestones - that's only with fixed price projects. But they offer better protection than manual time because at least the money is in escrow; however, the client can still dispute or do a chargeback, so it's not foolproof. The best way to ensure that you get paid is to do hourly jobs and use the time tracker properly. (Having said that, I've never had any trouble getting paid, whether hourly or fixed price.)

Jennifer W wrote:

Would the structure be:
- Send a proposal

Yes, that's correct. 

Jennifer W wrote:

If we go about being paid this way, how should we handle any issues/concerns someone may have with our work? I put my all into my work, but sometimes the client is looking for something different. How many edits/revisions should we be open to?

The milestone breakdown depends on what type of project I'm doing and whether it's for a client that I've worked with before. If it's a large project for a new client, I'd get $200-300 funded initially and submit a sample of the work to establish the direction (I wouldn't work on something for several weeks without getting some kind of a payment). For smaller jobs, I ask for the whole job to be funded. No revisions are included within a single milestone unless I make a mistake; a client looking for "something different" would need to fund a new milestone in order to get additional options.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members