🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My clients refuse to pay me even after I subm...
Page options
juncallueng
Community Member

My clients refuse to pay me even after I submitted the Article He ask me to make

My clients refuse to pay me even after I gave him the article He asked me to make. He claims my writing is very bad and I have factual errors. Like "Armenia is a Soviet Republic" which I countered that I wrote in the article that it is a "Former Soviet Republic" which is factual. I told him I have many clients in Upwork and have never had any of them saying my writing is bad.  He said I should cancel the contract so I won't get a negative review. I refused to do so so he canceled it and asking for a refund from the escrow. He still refuses to pay so I had to dispute by showing the Grammarly score  w/c was 99% and Copyscape report. I said the third-party app is the most objective way to gauge the quality of my writing objectively. But he refused to accept that I got a 99% score. How long do you think Upwork will respond to my dispute? What happens next?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

What happens next is that the client can not get the escrow money back. Your dispute blocked that money from being refunded to the client.

Now an Upwork mediator will serve as a go-between and will encourage both sides to come to an agreement. You could make a compromise offer. For example, you could propose that each side gets half of the money.

Mediation is non-binding. Upwork will not force you to take a certain action. Upwork will not decide which side is right or wrong.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

What happens next is that the client can not get the escrow money back. Your dispute blocked that money from being refunded to the client.

Now an Upwork mediator will serve as a go-between and will encourage both sides to come to an agreement. You could make a compromise offer. For example, you could propose that each side gets half of the money.

Mediation is non-binding. Upwork will not force you to take a certain action. Upwork will not decide which side is right or wrong.

Thank you so much. I will definitely not work with this client again, of all my clients it's the first time I encountered someone like him.  But, yes getting 50% would be the best option during the arbitration. 

Antonio C wrote:

getting 50% would be the best option during the arbitration. 

Arbitration comes after dispute mediation and would cost you $291. I doubt you mean arbitration.

Thanks, he actually said that I should just cancel the contract so that I won't receive a negative rating. Which was weird . 

Petra R wrote:

Antonio C wrote:

getting 50% would be the best option during the arbitration. 

Arbitration comes after dispute mediation and would cost you $291. I doubt you mean arbitration.

petra_r
Community Member

Antonio C wrote:

I said the third-party app is the most objective way to gauge the quality of my writing objectively. 

No, Grammarly is absolutely useless to gauge the quality of an article. You can write complete word-salad that passes Grammarly. A native speaking editor is the right person to judge.

Antonio C wrote:

How long do you think Upwork will respond to my dispute? What happens next?

How much money is involved?

Only a small amount, but I just wanted to make a point to him. His comments were very viscous, he called it bad, then trash, and then no use at all. So I had no choice but to dispute that, I know my rating may take a hit but I won't accept such remarks. I am new in Upwork and have a 98% job rating and my clients are usually ok and are all native speakers so I'm not sure where he is coming from. 

Antonio C wrote:

Thanks, he actually said that I should just cancel the contract so that I won't receive a negative rating. Which was weird . 

Nothing weird about it. That way you would have not got bad (private) feedback and your JSS would not drop.

Antonio C wrote:

I have a 98% job rating 

You won't have that anymore on Sunday...

Petra R wrote:

Antonio C wrote:

Nothing weird about it. That way you would have not got bad (private) feedback and your JSS would not drop.

Antonio C wrote:

I have a 98% job rating 

The client messages me and apologized. He said when he showed my work to their lead content writer, he said they can use my work with a little modification. He said we just started on the wrong foot and ask me if we can continue working. 

Antonio C wrote:

Antonio C wrote:

I have a 98% job rating 

The client messages me and apologized. 

Too late. The outcome of the contract is already done.

And you clearly won't consider working with that client again, will you?

PS - you want to proofread your portfolio items.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members