Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My experience with upwork.

neskafee
Vyacheslav V Member Since: Jul 23, 2017
1 of 22

Hi, my name is Vyacheslav. 
I am Highly skilled 3d Generalist from Europe, the experience with upwork was nice, till I got this one client.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I have worked for huge companies who mostly do architectural work, and I know my job really well.

My opinion is if you are going to work with someone you need to focus and work along with the freelancer.

They gave me all the comments, and I did all the images for them, then they figured out that they have sent me the wrong model. Okay, I did all the changes again, and again, and again, and so one.

Then I asked the clients "Please can you focus on this job, I understand that you are paying me to do this job, but please can you stop wasting my time, with all this extra faulty work"

The client basically got mad, and they started to bang me even more.

Before that, I did an animation for my self as well with the same product just to show that I can deliver animations as well and who knows maybe they are interested in animation as well for some extra work.

I send them animation with watermark, they were really liking it, but they didn't say anything that they need one.

So we moved forward to finish the job.

So I did all the images client was happy, and amazed with the quality, except for one image, which was just like other ones, but they claimed that it was flipped and color measurements didn't match, what doesn't make sense.

At the end they just told, that to make things right, you have to give the animation as well, I was thrilled, like really?

And this is basically how they get animation for free, by threatening me that they will ruin my upwork rating for no good reason.

And they did it, my upwork profile is ruined, with 50 % job success score.

Project deliveries in attachments so peoples can understand what was the product.

And yeah I don't know what to do now. How is it that clients can use upwork system for their own benefits?

Sorry if there are some grammar mistakes my native language is not English.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 22

There has got to be at least one other contract lurking somewhere, one that isn't showing on your profile... It takes an absolute minimum of 4 contracts with 3 differet clients to get a JSS.

Any contract that ended without payment, or was started and ended without pay or was refunded?

neskafee
3 of 22

Nope only these 3, and as you can see in my profile everyone was happy with the results.

I made some new friends, who are willing to work again with me.

I don't use upwork a lot, only when I have some free time and I want to make some extra money. 

But still, it doesn't mean that I don't care about my upwork profile.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 22

Hi Vyacheslav,

Please, note that multiple factors contribute to your Job Success score, including jobs without feedback, no money paid, inactive jobs, public and private feedback. Make sure you successfully complete your current jobs, and I'm sure you'll be able to bring your JSS back up.

~ Valeria
Upwork
petra_r
Community Guru
5 of 22

Val, that's a nice standard answer, but how **CAN** he have a JSS from 3 (small) completed contracts IF what he says is correct and there have been no others?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 22

Petra, please note that open contracts can also contribute to JSS calculation, when they are long-term or inactive for example.

~ Valeria
Upwork
petra_r
Community Guru
7 of 22

@Valeria K wrote:

Petra, please note that open contracts can also contribute to JSS calculation, when they are long-term or inactive for example.

I know that 🙂

He did his first contract in March this year, there is no visible sign of any ongoing contracts, which is why I asked him if there are any others, such as nothing paid etc..

Which he answered with "No" - so something is odd. Either there is a dead / comatose / nothing paid contract hanging there which is contributing to the low JSS, in which case it makes sense - or something else.

I just wanted to ascertain whether that is the case.

So:

Vyacheslav - Is there another contract? One where nothing has been paid, open or not, and which has been open for a good while?

neskafee
8 of 22

Petra - I have 2 projects going right now, one is about to finish, and another one started March 27 which is taking already a while because the client is waiting to get all the required files from his manufacturers,  that's why we can't finish the job at the moment. 

We do have weekly chat, about how things are going, and the client is a pleasure to work with.

So if I am right this could be the problem at the moment?

petra_r
Community Guru
9 of 22

@Vyacheslav V wrote:

Petra - I have 2 projects going right now, one is about to finish, and another one started March 27 which is taking already a while because the client is waiting to get all the required files from his manufacturers,  that's why we can't finish the job at the moment. 

We do have weekly chat, about how things are going, and the client is a pleasure to work with.

NEVER let contracts sit idle for months without even a small payment. Clients can't open a contract MONTHS ago and expect you to hang around and jump through hoops and do work and not see a Cent.

If clients want you on standby get a monthy retainer of $ 5 or whatever. That means the contracts don't fall into a coma.

In fact if fixed rate contracts stay idle long enough with funds in Escrow, Upwork closes them and sends the Escrow funds back...

This STILL does not explain why you have a JSS at all. You are meant to have at least 4 ENDED cotracts to get one.

Go to your all contracts page and count them all....

neskafee
10 of 22

Petra please do open the attached file of my second reply. 

There is an image of contracts page.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS