Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first client is threatening me

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
11 of 18

Hi Jean-Christophe ,

I'm sorry about your experience with this client. I see our team is communicating with you on your open ticket and the contract is already closed. Please follow up on the reply our agent posted an hour ago as we can't discuss account specific cases in the Community.

Untitled
0b8e3f44
Jean-Christophe M Member Since: Jun 16, 2016
12 of 18

Hi, 

My ticket is not evolving properly, the first response from support team was that there were not evidence of threatening. To me and to the people I shared the conversation with, it is a clear threat, I hope the client will at some point think more if 200$ contract is worth finding me in the world anywhere.

This morning my support ticket was even closed, the client just ask me for a refund in escrow, and I'm sure a **bleep** good review is already waiting for me, so no, the support team is not yet helping, I hope they will, but so far i'm not satisfied. 

To sum up, I worked several hours (maybe 20), not even counting the incessant flow of message and extra demands to answer to, the community tells me to just cancel the contract, but even tho, his private comment will affect my rating, and this I cannot accept, as I have clear proof of the quality of my work, my professional behavior, and I didn't threat anyone (he also threatened to file a criminal report, as he think I'm not registered to work as a freelancer, which is false of course, as i'm registered in both France and Germany, with vat tax number...).

Community is here to know how upwork is working, being threatened by a client, even tho nothing should happen is a serious problem, and so far, as I can see, there is nothing I can do, this is not normal.

gerrys
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
13 of 18

Yep; I can see where the client "lost it" when you flipped them that Zip file and basically told them to "get lost".

You claim to have managed 50+ team members in your profile; yet could not "handle" this one client.

Your results did not match the expectations generated from your profile.

0b8e3f44
Jean-Christophe M Member Since: Jun 16, 2016
14 of 18

I'm wondering what's your point here ? anyway, thanks for your great answer, by not even knowing the tenth of the story

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
15 of 18

@jean-christophe M wrote:

Community is here to know how upwork is working, being threatened by a client, even tho nothing should happen is a serious problem, and so far, as I can see, there is nothing I can do, this is not normal.

Jean-Christophe, I totally understand your frustration, but the Community has given you the only answer possible - you can either drag this job into a dispute (which you shouldn't do for myriad reasons - they very rarely ever end in the freelancer's favor, CS has already said they don't agree with your threat assessment which demonstrates a tendency to side with the client already, they result in negative feedback, etc.), or end the contract and move on. I understand that you are upset about the principle of the thing and not the $180, but standing on principle will get you nowhere in an online freelancing platform. It's not meant to be harsh, it's just what much of the collective experience here has shown us time and time again. Truly, the best advice here is to cut your losses and never work with a client such as this one again.  

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
16 of 18

Hi Jean-Christophe,

I would like to confirm that the team is communicating with the client about their communication style and threats reported by you. Actions will be taken if necessary but we will not be able to share details about another user's account.

Regarding the contract that's been closed. At this point you have a choice to either approve the refund request and have the money in Escrow returned to the client or to file a dispute. In order to do it, please go to Contract Details page and click to "Respond to Request link."

~ Valeria
Upwork
kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
17 of 18

Jean-Christophe - Anyway, here I don't really care to get the 200$,  Well then, can I have it because I care.

If you worked for someone, put in the time and the effort you should get paid for it.  It's one thing to do a crappy job or not to do any work at all and then want the client to pay you.

IMO do NOT give the money back. Doing so only teaches and reinforces the notion that this is the way to get free work from contractors here. It's true that if you're paid a client can leave public feedback, but if youi respond in a professional way that negative feedback won't hurt you that much. Besides, even if you give the money back, the client can leave private feedback, and that private feedback will affect youir JSS score.

As for this client "finding you". You have nothing to worry about, They aren't going to travel half way around the world looking for you. So, keep the money, respond professionally to feedback, and move on.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
18 of 18

On a side note, there's a certain degree of humor in someone yelling at you in all caps that he's smarter than you. The only thing better would be a misspelling or misplaced apostrophe in the threat.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS