cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first job

I just received my first job and was told that I would receive the contract in a few days.  What are the next steps on my end?   I went into my jobs, and I didn't see anything there.  Will the client add that information or is that something that I have to do myself?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kimberly,

I had a look at your account and can confirm you don't have a contract for the job you mentioned.

You should never start working without an active contract, which would show in your "My Jobs" tab. If a client accepts your proposal and responds to it, the proposal will be listed in the "Active Candidacies" section of the Job Applications page. You then need to discuss the project scope, requirements and contract terms with the client. If you agree to work together, the client needs to send you an offer and you need to accept it, in order to have an active contract on Upwork. Make sure not to start working unless the contract is covered by the appropriate Upwork Protection Program and only accept to get paid through the platform.

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread and Upwork Trust & Safety FAQ.

You can find valuable information in the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Help Center and our Freelancer Guide. I also suggest watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Untitled

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Guru

@Kimberly D wrote:

I just received my first job

I went into my jobs, and I didn't see anything there. 

Unless there is a job showing there, you are NOT hired! Do not do ANY work until you have been hired, officially, a contract offer has appeared on your Upwork account and has been accepted by you.

Is the job hourly or fixed rate?

If fixed rate, make sure it is funded...

Is the client's payment method verified?

Hi Petra,

Thanks for responding!  The rate is hourly.  The client has sent me an offer letter, which I have accepted, signed, and submitted back.  Since it was late on Friday, I haven't gotten the formal contract yet.  I was told that I would receive it on Tuesday, which is after the fourth of July holiday, and then the proposed start date would be the following day. The payment method is verified, and I see that others have worked with this client before without incident. 

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kimberly,

I had a look at your account and can confirm you don't have a contract for the job you mentioned.

You should never start working without an active contract, which would show in your "My Jobs" tab. If a client accepts your proposal and responds to it, the proposal will be listed in the "Active Candidacies" section of the Job Applications page. You then need to discuss the project scope, requirements and contract terms with the client. If you agree to work together, the client needs to send you an offer and you need to accept it, in order to have an active contract on Upwork. Make sure not to start working unless the contract is covered by the appropriate Upwork Protection Program and only accept to get paid through the platform.

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread and Upwork Trust & Safety FAQ.

You can find valuable information in the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Help Center and our Freelancer Guide. I also suggest watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Untitled

Thanks Vladimir! 

This information is very helpful!  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS