🐈 Community

My friend account got suspended

I am so dissapointed by the way Upwork treated their users (freelancers). My friend has an account on Upwork and he've done several projects on this site. Everything had been so cool till Upwork made up their mind to permanently suspend my friend's account with the reason that my friend's skills do not match the proposed jobs. It's ridiculous that my friend is a Shopify Expert (certified by Shopify), and most of the proposals went to Shopify-related posts. 

Why does Upwork give each user 60 connects and then suspend the account after 1/3 of them submitted. It's not fair. So many emails from my friends have been sent to Upwork Support or Appeal team, but they've chosen to pass those emails over. I don't think it's a signal of professionalism cause Upwork did not allow their users to choose. At least, there should have had some warnings first. 

What should my friend do? Is anyone from Appeal team around here? It's important for my friend to get the account active. If this continues to take place, I think Upwork would lose their users, and their buisness would fold for sure. 

11 REPLIES 11
tinker_bell3

Hi Duy,

I'm sorry to hear that your friend's account has been suspended. Please send me a PM by clicking on my name with your friend's email or userID so I can check with the team. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Joanne, 

I messaged you and I don't actually expect the same result with a general reason. Thanks for your help. 

Joanne, 

May I know if you checked my message yet?

Thanks

Hi Duy,

Unfortunately we can`t share details for another user with you. We've checked and we can see that our team has communicated with your friend about our decision, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Duy,

Thank you for sending me the information via PM. I have responded to your message.

~ Joanne
Upwork
petra_r

Duy T wrote:. If this continues to take place, I think Upwork would lose their users, and their buisness would fold for sure.

Hardly.  There are way too many freelancers on Upwork as it is. Freelancers leaving is not a problem, considering that every day 10.000 people try to join Upwork, and 98% are rejected (according to Upwork's CEO.)

If your friend wasn't hired enough his profile wasn't attractive enough for Upwork clients and he needs to find a different platform.

@Petra R wrote:

Duy T wrote:. If this continues to take place, I think Upwork would lose their users, and their buisness would fold for sure.

Hardly.  There are way too many freelancers on Upwork as it is. Freelancers leaving is not a problem, considering that every day 10.000 people try to join Upwork, and 98% are rejected (according to Upwork's CEO.)

If your friend wasn't hired enough his profile wasn't attractive enough for Upwork clients and he needs to find a different platform.

Considering this I wonder why there are hundreds of thousands of freelancers who have not earned a dime. 

Before suspending any freelancers for too many unsuccessful proposals, Upwork should at least let them use half their connects. This is not the first time I’ve heard of a freelancer suspension after using just 20 connects. How does Upwork know that the next 40 will be unsuccessful? Or else if it’s now policy to automatically suspend after 10 unsuccessful proposals, then this should be clearly stated in the terms of use.

@John K wrote:
This is not the first time I’ve heard of a freelancer suspension after using just 20 connects. How does Upwork know that the next 40 will be unsuccessful? Or else if it’s now policy to automatically suspend after 10 unsuccessful proposals, then this should be clearly stated in the terms of use.

I am pretty certain that isn't true anyway... At least I am pretty certain that nobody was ever suspended because of 10 unsuccessful proposals (alone.)

I agree with John, but with Petra too.

If everyone using 20 connects (applying for 10 jobs) without success would be suspended,

there would be probably hundreds of thousands of freelancers suspended.

Most of the times I guess there are more reasons than told here.

But I must admit that sometimes (often) I read these and get every time more scared to be suspended even though I am very careful not to violate ToS. But I have used connects quite a lot. Have got hired too, though.

Now I receive invitations too and previous clients contact me so no need to use connects that much as in the beginning.

I don't apply jobs that don't match my skills and wonder the reasons if somebody does that because no one will hire me to do things I cant do. And if did, how could I handle a job I know nothing about. 

Don't get this.

What might be the most common reasons to get suspended beside violating ToS? (Petra? Smiley Happy)

As you agree to follow ToS when you join there is no need to warn before suspending.

Any other reasons should cause a warning first. I understand that Upwork wants to prevent spamming, which is good, but a warning first may help most of the times too.

Ok dear
Upcoming Events
Oct 27
Nov 29