hallnneka

My job success score drops but I don't know why

I currently work most often with a current client who refuses to give feedback but keeps hiring me. My job success score has dropped to 58% now and I think it's preventing me from showing up in client searches or makes me look bad.  Should I drop this client? Will that help my job success score?

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r

@Nneka H wrote:

I currently work most often with a current client who refuses to give feedback but keeps hiring me. My job success score has dropped to 58% now and I think it's preventing me from showing up in client searches or makes me look bad.  Should I drop this client? Will that help my job success score?

Why do you keep closing the contracts, rather than getting the client do it? If the client closes the contract you automatically get feedback!

You have a stunningly high percentage of no feedback contracts and yes, that is indeed killing your JSS.

You need to talk to the client because you are now in the "danger zone" - your account will not survive much more of that.

I have asked him on several occasions to close the contracts and he will not. That is why I am considering not working with him again. He opened all those contracts and won't close them so they give the impression I am still working on them.  I wish Upwork wouldn't penalize me for that. I want clients to know I am available.

Another client has paused his job since last year saying that he will get back in contact when he has more work but he has not contacted me in over a year and has not posted any jobs on the platform either.

Upwork needs to find some other means of calculating job success because this is no fault of mine and the feedback I have received have been good. No bad ones.

@Nneka H wrote:

I have asked him on several occasions to close the contracts and he will not. That is why I am considering not working with him again. He opened all those contracts and won't close them so they give the impression I am still working on them.  I wish Upwork wouldn't penalize me for that. I want clients to know I am available.

Another client has paused his job since last year saying that he will get back in contact when he has more work but he has not contacted me in over a year and has not posted any jobs on the platform either.

Upwork needs to find some other means of calculating job success because this is no fault of mine and the feedback I have received have been good. No bad ones.

Nneka, it is some fault of yours. I'm not saying it's all your fault or criticizing you, but as long as you feel like it's out of your hands, you can't fix it--so get that notion out of your head right now.

What most experienced freelancers would have done long ago is to say, when receiving a new offer from the client, "I would love to work on this with you. I'll accept as soon as you are able to close the prior contract and we can get started."

However right you are, it's far too late for Nneka to use your advice to deal with her situation now. Nneka, for future reference - whenever a job is completed, you MUST ask the client to leave an honest response and rating. My job success score suffered because a few clients left no feedback (which is my fault since I didn't ask for it). Now, to deal with this... You should send a ticket to Upwork mods so they can review the clients' accounts and see that, as you say, they've been inactive - and so have been unable to give you feedback.

I close contracts. I am fortunate that other clients do leave feedback, so I am not falling into the "pattern of no feedback" category. I  am disappointed that some of my clients didn't leave feedback, but the impact on my JSS has not been significant. 

If a client is long-term and consistently hiring me, that positively impacts my JSS whether they have left feedback or not. I think that positive effect helps insulate me from the harm of the no feedback clients. There's no benefit that I can see in leaving a contract open once you have determined that the client isn't going to close it. 

Does having a profile set to private impact how it is discovered by clients in search? I don't really understand how that works.