Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My long term client just lowered my salary with 5%

gerrits-wim
Ace Contributor
William G Member Since: Jun 18, 2013
1 of 20

Hey dear colleagues,

I just got 5% less salary paid by my long term client, And I heard a few colleagues with other long term clients that they experienced the same. 

So there goes my advantage!

Any of you guys had the same experience and how did you handle it?

Cheers!

This widget could not be displayed.
2 of 20

@William G wrote:

Hey dear colleagues,

I just got 5% less salary paid by my long term client, And I heard a few colleagues with other long term clients that they experienced the same. 

So there goes my advantage!

Any of you guys had the same experience and how did you handle it?

Cheers!

How could he lower it? You did not have to accept this. You do not get a salary as you are no employee. I have not experienced that anybody tried this so far.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 20

Was this with someone who hit 10k?

I'm just telling everyone that my rates went up because escrow fees went up. I did shave off $50 for a longterm client that is now at $8500 so sooo close to $10k.

Most of my contracts are over $500, so with the rate increase I am making more money overall. I make $1.50 extra with the 20% cut on new contracts, but I suppose that's negligible. 

4 of 20

If clients try to reduce the freelancer fees as soon as 10,000 USD have been reached this would be a perversion of the original intention for the new fees.

lysis10
Community Guru
5 of 20

I think it will happen more with hourly than flat rate. At flat rate, you can give them any price and tell them that's yoru price. With hourly, they will likely try.

I only have 1 right now that is over $10k and it's flat rate.

The other is hourly and I don't see them asking for a discount. You have to be assertive and at least give the impression that you're in charge of your business and not some sulking, passive, beta freelancer who whines about rates.

gerrits-wim
Ace Contributor
6 of 20

@Jennifer should i and lots of your colleagues take this personal?

"The other is hourly and I don't see them asking for a discount. You have to be assertive and at least give the impression that you're in charge of your business and not some sulking, passive, beta freelancer who whines about rates."

Shame on you!!!

lysis10
Community Guru
7 of 20

idk

i just say no

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 20

@William G wrote:

Hey dear colleagues,

On the client interface a client can only UP the hourly rate, just as a freelancer can only lower it.

How did that client lower the rate?

gerrits-wim
Ace Contributor
9 of 20

Dear colleagues,

I get paid, as lots of my colleagues with me a fixed monthly salary paid out as a bonus. Clients can change that how they want. 

Now please any colleague who wants to tell me now that this is my own fault and I should never have accepted this. Many of us can't be that picky.

I got lots of other Upwork colleagues who got slated 5% without any announcement by their clients.

Now from the clients side this is defendable as they say: You have less costs, so we pay you less.

So just want to point out that my "advantage " of 5% just turned in an advantage for the client.

So don't doubt what i am saying. Believe that this is happening on a larger scale.

And anybody who states here that clients are "asking" for a discount: Welcome in the real world: They take the discount without asking. Saying that things got better for them also brings a smile on my face,,,,,Really!!???

So anybody any useful ideas how to react on this, without doubting my words?

Cheers.

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
10 of 20

I wouldn't be comfortable continuing a relationship with a client that treated me this way.  Basically, your acceptance of this behavior is telling the client that this behavior is perfectly fine.  That then empowers the client to do this to others.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS