🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: My name on an article
Page options
leyre1988
Community Member

My name on an article

Hi there!

I hope someone can help me.

I asked a client if he could put my name on the article I wrote.

He ignored me and now I see he published it on his name.

I would like to end the contract without getting a bad feedback.

I actually lowered the price to 50% to adapt to his budget and he does not even bother answering me...

I don´t want any rights over it, just my name (many other clients put my name on the text)

He never mentioned ghostwriting in the offer.

Best,

Leyre

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "I also know he will give me the worst feedback If I end the contract.."

You specifically said that he is happy with your work.

Why would HE give YOU bad feedback?

You are the one who is not happy with him. Not the other way around.

If you want to end the contract, then you can go ahead and end the contract.

If he is really ignoring you and maybe ignoring Upwork, then this could mean he isn't paying any attention to his Upwork account or Upwork messages at all. He may never give you any feedback. So you would receive no negative feedback.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Leyre P wrote:

I actually lowered the price to 50% to adapt to his budget and he does not even bother answering me...

I don´t want any rights over it, just my name (many other clients put my name on the text)

According to Upwork's terms of service the client has every right to do what he or she did.

If you want to force a client to use your name for what they paid for, you need to create a contract the client agrees to, in writing, otherwise Upwork's default terms apply (client owns all rights (including the right to use a name of their choice to use as author) once paid in full.)

Thank you very much for your quick response.

I should have waited for his written contract.

Any ideas how can I end the contract without getting a bad feedback?

I know he is happy with my work because he said so on the chat.

But I also know he will give me the worst feedback If I end the contract..

Thanks!

Leyre P wrote:

Thank you very much for your quick response.

I should have waited for his written contract.

Any ideas how can I end the contract without getting a bad feedback?

Is there any need to end the contract at this stage, at all?

Sorry, I´m kind of new to Upwork.

I don´t think I want to work with someone who ignores my messages.

I don´t get paid much and he is not even nice to me, so I´m not happy.

What would you do?

re: "I also know he will give me the worst feedback If I end the contract.."

You specifically said that he is happy with your work.

Why would HE give YOU bad feedback?

You are the one who is not happy with him. Not the other way around.

If you want to end the contract, then you can go ahead and end the contract.

If he is really ignoring you and maybe ignoring Upwork, then this could mean he isn't paying any attention to his Upwork account or Upwork messages at all. He may never give you any feedback. So you would receive no negative feedback.

tlbp
Community Member

Leyre P wrote:

Sorry, I´m kind of new to Upwork.

I don´t think I want to work with someone who ignores my messages.

I don´t get paid much and he is not even nice to me, so I´m not happy.

What would you do?

The client is busy and probably doesn't care to answer questions to which the answer would be "no." But if you don't like the pay or contractual conditions, of course, you should end the contract. Whatever feedback you get will be the feedback you get regardless. Besides, why would the client take time to leave feedback if they aren't interested in answering your questions?

In general, and especially if you are going to take low paying contracts, clients come to Upwork to find someone who will solve their problems.  They want an article so they pay someone to write an article. They aren't paying for someone to send them requests. 

If you want to build a portfolio, self-publish some of your work. 

kat303
Community Member

Leyre P wrote:

Hi there!

He never mentioned ghostwriting in the offer.

Best,

Leyre

Once a client pays for the work they received, they own the rights to it and can do anything they want with it. They don't have to include your name. If you NEED to have your name on the pieces you produce you need to negotiate that in advance with the client and most likely have a contract specifying those conditions. 

I would like to know, if a client agrees to that stipulation, how will you go about enforcing it if they decide not to include your name. 

A lot of times, once a client gets their work, and releases payment to you, they are done. They don't respond, they don't come back to close a contract. Work gotten, freelancer paid, and that's it. 

What gives you the impression that you will receive bad feedback? Is something going on, or did something happen that you aren't saying?  Send just one more message, asking the client to close the contract. and if no response, then let it go. As long as you got paid, leaving it open won't hurt your JSS. After you've gotten a few good reviews you can then close the contract if you want to. 

I was under the impression that if you don't close down a contract after a few weeks of not producing work for a specific client, your JSS score is affected...is this not so? 

Rocio G wrote:

I was under the impression that if you don't close down a contract after a few weeks of not producing work for a specific client, your JSS score is affected...is this not so? 

That is not the case. As long as any money was earned at all, a contract can sit idle indefinitely without affecting your JSS.

dsmgdesign
Community Member

Keep in mind, that when the client closes the contract, they HAVE to leave feedback. But, if you close the contract they are not obligated to leave any feedback at all. 

Sure, there's always a chance your client could give you bad feedback. But, and I can only speak from my own personal experience and the experience of other Upwork freelancers that I know and have talked to about this very matter.  When I have closed a contract myself, it was normally because the client was unresponsive. They were happy with my work, but I chalked up their "unresponsiveness" to moving on with their busy professional life.  In all of those contracts that I closed, the clients didn't bother to leave any feedback at all. Good luck, and let us know how things went for you. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths