cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My profile of issues

Pavel R Member Since: Jan 12, 2016
1 of 6

Hello.

I am full time freelancer on here and I bided to lots of jobs. But I didn't get any job last time. I think my profile has some issues or my bid message might has something. Please, look at my profile carefully and provide great solution to me. I'd appreciate it if you provide some solution to help me.

Sorry for your losting time.

Thanks very much

Ace Contributor
Marcos C Member Since: Jul 23, 2015
2 of 6

Hey, Pavel. How you doing? First of all, and before everything, keep on trying, man. Upwork is a serious opportunity to earn some good money, but you have to be patient and persistent.

You profile seems fine for me. However, the first thing I noticed is that you're a programmer/developer. You have to keep in mind that this area is heavily satured. Also, beyond the competition you have from top developers, you have some fierce competition by guys that are willing to work for 3, 4 dollars per hour.

You have a nice portfolio and great performances in official tests. Congrats on that. I have no doubts that you are a really good developer.

I would suggest two things:

1) Lowering your hourly rate. I know, this is difficult, but keeping it low for now may help you to land some first jobs and build a reputation. You don't have to go to the bottom of the bucket and work for 5 dollars the hour; I'm sure you know your value. But, to begin, you may consider that.

2) Polishing your overview text. There are too much asterisks, I don't know, personally I did not enjoy the formatting. One thing I'm always doing is surfing through Top Rated freelancers, just to see (i) how their profiles look like, (ii) how much money you can earn there. You will have great insights by doing this.

Once again, keep trying, man. It's difficult to get the first jobs. After that, things come naturally.

My best,

Marcos

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
3 of 6

1) Lowering your hourly rate. I know, this is difficult, but keeping it low for now may help you to land some first jobs and build a reputation. You don't have to go to the bottom of the bucket and work for 5 dollars the hour; I'm sure you know your value. But, to begin, you may consider that.

If you want a "fast" start, lower your rate and pick up some cheap jobs. As soon as you start getting some feedback the higher paying jobs will come along in time. Because of the saturation in your category, that's you best bet to get a fast start.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
4 of 6

Sorry I disagree with what Marcos said. Do NOT  lower your rate and there is nothing wrong with your profile.

Learn to sell yourself. Write a unique cover letter and explain without over inflating yourself what you can do for them and why they should choose you.

Be patient as you are in a market with a lot of competition. Good Luck!

Ace Contributor
Amardeep S Member Since: Sep 22, 2009
5 of 6

Pavel,

After going through your profile, I have no doubt that you are extremely talented. I am sure that a client going through your profile will also come to a similar conclusion.

That being said, I believe that there is nothing wrong in lowering your rate for your first project on Upwork. This is because the client is taking on a risk by hiring a person with no work history on Upwork, and one way to compensate him for the added risk is a lower rate. Once you have a feedback, raise your price back. 

Of course the ideal way would be to stick to your price and market yourself, but that could take a long time to work out. This is just a faster, easier way although not ideal. 

Community Guru
Andrea B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
6 of 6

Pavel,

your profile isn't bad at all. If I were you maybe I would only find a better picture of yourself, but I don't think this is why you are not getting any jobs at the moment. 

As Marcos and Jane suggested, lowering your rate can be a good idea to get these long awaited first jobs and start building your history on Upwork. Then you can always raise your rates and look for more rewarding jobs.

In any case, be patient. Even if I'm on a completely different field, it took more than 4 months before getting the first job on here. Don't give up: even if competition can be terrific, if you are worth 35$/hour, you are going to get them sooner or later.

@Suzanne: "learning to sell yourself" means finding a strategy to sell your expertise - this can be achieved by keeping your rate as it is and struggling to write winning cover letters OR by lowering your rates and become more competitive. IMHO for starters it's better being a keen newbie that gets a few low-paid jobs rather than a Nobel prize getting no jobs at all.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS