🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: My profile was made private for some reas...
Page options
funnelkings
Community Member

My profile was made private for some reason?

I am not sure why my profile was private. I have been submitting proposals and realized after no responses that it was private. Does this mean that no one saw my proposals? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Automatically sets profiles to private after 30 days of not earning money.

Does not matter much unless you are actually getting unsolicited invites.

If you don't want your profile to be private, just use the button for asking Upwork to set it to public again.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Chris G wrote:

I am not sure why my profile was private. I have been submitting proposals and realized after no responses that it was private. Does this mean that no one saw my proposals? 

No, clients can see your proposals as well as access your profile, even if it's set to private by upwork. It's set to private after a certain time (I believe but not sure - 30 days) you not winning jobs.

Automatically sets profiles to private after 30 days of not earning money.

Does not matter much unless you are actually getting unsolicited invites.

If you don't want your profile to be private, just use the button for asking Upwork to set it to public again.

Martina P wrote:

Chris G wrote:

No, clients can see your proposals as well as access your profile, even if it's set to private by upwork. It's set to private after a certain time (I believe but not sure - 30 days) you not winning jobs.

Actually, it's set private after 30 days without receiving payment, so even if you win a job, that won't make it public until the client approves a milestone or the hourly review period ends with some hours billed on the contract.

This has to be one of the worst policies Upwork has. The profile does not automaticaly go back to public after receiving  payment or whatever the actual reason is that it goes private without notice.

This hapened to me and and I did not get any sort of notice it happened.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tom, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience. You should have received a notification on the right panel of your Find Work page about your profile being set to private. 

Could you please share when your profile was set to private, and when you earned after that so that I can look into this for you? 

~ Avery
Upwork
bigtomjp
Community Member

I have no idea when this changed. I just discovered how to change it back to public today. It was brought to my attention the other day from a member here in the community who was somewhat rude to me about having a private profile. I assume I was on holiday some time about a year ago or so ago. I had set my status to not available in that time. Why would I log in to check on anything if I knew nothing was happening while on holiday. I saw no such notification on the find work page. How long does the Find Work notification last? That is not an acceptable form of notification for this kind of major account action.

My desire is that my profile settings would never change from how I set them. Since that will not happen I want to be very clear that if this happens, I expect I would get and email that makes it overly clear this happened. I would also expect that you put the profile status back to what it was whenever I get a payment or a project or whatever mysterious criteria it is that triggers this lackluster feature. Yes, I would expect an email when this happens too. It is scary to think I was not discoverable for so long because of this backwards policy and the lack of proper notification. I am very unhappy about this.

petra_r
Community Member

Tom O wrote:

I have no idea when this changed. I just discovered how to change it back to public today. It was brought to my attention the other day from a member here in the community who was somewhat rude to me about having a private profile.

Tom, chances are your profile was previously set (by yourself) to "Upwork users only" - which results in it not being directly accessible from the forum, and the person who responded to you mistakenly believed it was set to private just because he or she could not access it from the forum.

If your profile had been set to private by Upwork, you'd have been informed.

Your profile wouldn't have been set to private because of a period of not earning anyway because you are on the Plus plan.

Furthermore, Upwork recently stopped setting profiles to private after 30 days, so the whole thing was always a non-issue for you, and is now a non-issue for everyone else too.

bigtomjp
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

...chances are your profile was previously set (by yourself) to "Upwork users only" - which results in it not being directly accessible from the forum, and the person who responded to you mistakenly believed it was set to private just because he or she could not access it from the forum.

It was set to Private.

How?

Recently? How recently. I am reluctant to trust the word of any that does not work for UpWork on this.

These kinds of presumtive replies are why I do not spend much time here. Enjoy your post count numbers. I am better off just starting a support ticket for these concerns.

petra_r
Community Member

Tom O wrote:

How?

By Email and with a notice on your interface (right hand side, on your "find work" page.)

BUT:

You are on the Plus Plan. Your profile would never be set to private for not earning any money for any length of time because that is one of the features you pay for as part of the Plus Plan.

not set private.png

Tom O wrote:

Recently? How recently. I

On the 5th of March

Tom O wrote:

Enjoy your post count numbers. 

Was there anything in my post that justifies that kind of hostile and rude remark?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths