🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My project is completed but its been long am ...
Page options
anila-murad
Community Member

My project is completed but its been long am not paid yet.

Hello! I am a ghost writer for about 7 years. In october 2020, i have a project to write a book on "Starting a Small Business". Its an autobiographic kinda book. The original proposal amount was $600. We agreed to kick start this project and target was to write 50k book.

After the work, she was satisfied but need some edits, I did so several times.

Her communication was so poor that I often had trouble understanding what exactly she wanted me to change. But still, I worked for her and completed the job. Finally, she paid me a fraction of the originally agreed amount (about 1/6th). I politely asked for the rest of the amount. But she did not respond to my message. And I kept on messaging, to remind her that she only released $66 out $600.She also set weekly report of my progress, which I used to answer.

In which there is a question” What you are going to do this week on this project and what may delay work?” My answer was “I have submitted my work and waiting for my client to review. If she needs any edit will do that and still waiting for client’s response. The thing which might delay project is client’s slow response.”

Which she found irritating she mentioned stop saying this that my response is slow or am not answering. I apologized if that irritates her. Then kept messaging and answering her questioner. But no response at all. I searched her on internet and found her LinkedIn account.  I messaged her and mentioned everything by which she responded and said I have few problems I’ll solve and get back to you this week but after that I have never seen her not responded me even there.

She is a well-known motivational speaker and an entrepreneur that’s why I trusted her words. I thought she really going to keep her words. But alas vain.

Now on February 2 I have marked order completed. And its now 19th day am still waiting for my funds. So, will I receive my remaining amount or not? Will Upwork going to help me in this regard?? I have never been through such kind of salutation. What am supposed to do??

Please help.

Regards

Aneela

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Anila M wrote:

Now on February 2 I have marked order completed. And its now 19th day am still waiting for my funds. So, will I receive my remaining amount or not? Will Upwork going to help me in this regard?

When you closed the contract, you sent all remaining (if any) funds in Escrow back to the client.  The only way you will get the rest of the money is if the client returns and pays you. No, Upwork can't help you. It was up to you to check if the correct amount was funded in Escrow and to manage the milestone(s) accordingly.

Anila M wrote:

I searched her on internet and found her LinkedIn account.  I messaged her

That is a serious violation of Upwork's terms of service and you are lucky the client didn't report you to Upwork for doing this.

Thank you for helping me out. I thought its normal to remind client outside this plateform. If he/she busy somewhere or forgets to pay.

But thanks will be careful next time.

Regards

Anila M wrote:

I thought its normal to remind client outside this plateform.

No, you may only contact other users via channels they have given you permission to use. Anything else fan get your account suspended.

Anila M wrote:

If he/she busy somewhere or forgets to pay.

If you had worked with funded milestne,it wouldn't have mattered if the client vanished, because you would still have been paid for the work you have done, automatically.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths