cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My proposal for a job post was declined but then I was contacted outside of upwork

roberta_griffin

Hello all, my name is Roberta Griffin. I am new to Upwork.  Having nearly completed my profile I sent a proposal to a Job Post that was declined by the potential employer. But, the employer sent me a message to contact him/her via Skype.  I did and now he/she wants to hire me.  This just sounds too fishy.  I asked to return to Upwork to settle contract/agreement info but that was ignored.  An obscure contract was sent to me but I'm really not comfortable with this.  I feel maybe this hiring employer is acting unethically or perhaps is a scam of some sort.

Have any of you experienced anything close to this?  I want to trust this site but this situation makes me feel uneasy.

Any input would be great.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlsanders
Community Guru

It happens all the time. In most cases, it's  scam and you not only won't get paid, but may get swindled out of money.

In a best case scenario, it will be a real job and you'll just get banned from Upwork for taking work outside of the platform. 

Report it and move on.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
tlsanders
Community Guru

It happens all the time. In most cases, it's  scam and you not only won't get paid, but may get swindled out of money.

In a best case scenario, it will be a real job and you'll just get banned from Upwork for taking work outside of the platform. 

Report it and move on.

View solution in original post

csjarmitage
Community Guru

It's really important that you read everything on the site regarding rules, best practices and ToS requirements.

Don't begin work without a contract showing in your "My Jobs" tab.  Don't accept payment off the platform. Finally, I wouldn't have a conversation with anyone outside of the messaging center until you've got some Upwork experience under your belt.

Chances are good that you'll be presented with a few of these scammy clients until you've built up your profile with some jobs.  It's up to you to know what the rules are and how to protect yourself.

colettelewis
Community Guru

It is probably a scam, but you can write back to the client and say you will not consider any form of contract unless it is through Upwork. I very much doubt you will hear from the client again.  If you do,  then your contract should be set up either as an hourly project, with Upwork's tracker turned on or as a fixed-rate contract with the full amount funded into escrow.

You should also read all Upwork's help pages and Terms of Service and Terms of Use, before bidding. Here are some tips about the sort of scam to look out for.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Content-Corner/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/m-p/240833#U240833

Sorry everyone - posts crossed!

roberta_griffin

Thank you for your feedback.  I had a gut feeling this is probably a scam.  My fear is that since we connected on Skype do you think he/she may be able to get into my computer or something vile like that?  Just started and freaking out.  I do agree with all of you.  I need to read to ToS/ToU immediately.

No, just communicating through Skype will not affect your computer with some kind of virus. If you open up files with the exe (extension) would be one way, or opening up a file where there are macros. As long as you have a good virus/security program installed and are careful about opening up files that are sent to you anonymously, you should be fine.

I definitely agree with Kathy. It's just a personal preference of mine, but I always choose to block these scammers on Skype. I report them and send a screenshot of any incriminating info and then let the Upwork agent know that I'm blocking them. 

You should definitely report it, but blocking is just an additional option if you choose to do so. 

roberta_griffin

Okay, Wow, I feel so much better. I blocked them on Skype and the email they sent me with the ridiculous attempt at a contract is now in my Spam folder.

Also, I will report right now.

I better learn the ropes fast.

Thank you all again so very much.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS