cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My top 3 changes I'd like to see on Upwork

Mike H Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
1 of 6

Hi all,

I've been on UpWork for just over a year, and have grown a very nice freelancing career here.  Its been better than I could have hoped for.  That said, there are three things that bug me...

1.  The longer you have a client, the greater the potential risk they become.  I like the general way reviews are weighted, where the more value a contract has, the bigger its weighted in your feedback score.  The type of work I do isn't one-off contracts (build a website, and its done) - they're ongoing relationships that can last years.  In 95% of cases, its fine.  You do good work, your client is happy.  But it does make me nervous when a contract ends, that you're at the mercy of the person's feelings that day (and on a day that the contract ended - which may be for any number of good or bad reasons).  I'd love to see some way to help mitigate that risk.  For example, periodical reviews mid-contract, or declining weights as the duration increases (presumably, a person is happy with your work if a contract is still running after a year).  Then your performance could be weighted more evenly.  I know, I'm probably too prideful of having a 4.9 star review vs a 4.6, and it shouldn't really matter...

2.  Similarly, the longer you have a client, the less "value" Upwork provides.  When a contract first starts, UpWork is a huge asset.  It helps me find the client, helps me demonstrate my value (reviews, tests, etc.), facilitates payments from the client, and protects me from potential non-payment.  All well worth a 10% "management fee".  But after a year or more with a client, when trust and a good working relationship is established, the value Upwork provides is diminished.  I would love it if there was a "tiered" system, where after X hours and/or months, the fees drop to 8%, then to 5% for example.  This would probably prevent people from taking those great clients off Upwork (which I know goes against Upwork terms and conditions).  This would be especially appropriate and good added incentive for the "top rated" freelancers.

3.  This is a small thing, but I wish reviews reflected the contract terms at the end of the contract, rather than the beginning.  There are clients that started at $20 for example, and end at $40.  It makes it more difficult to justify a $50 posted rate, when your reviews all say $20.

Anyhow, those are my three suggestions.  Any others?

Thanks!

Jan M Member Since: Dec 3, 2014
2 of 6

Hey Mike, 

1. I agree on point 1 - client usually ends the contract because something went bad, and even that was only day, and we're humans (we do make mistakes sometimes!). For upwork it doesn't matter you were great for months, as you only end up with the rating for that one failure that made you fired. Doing a monthly review would be a great feature which would turn to overall rating.

2. please remember that upwork is not ONLY for getting two sides to know each other. it also makes sure tha tyou get your money as a contractor (except for fixed price and manual hours of course) and that is worth to keep things fixed, since that is service that keeps being provided. I think that 10% that your employer pays is a good thing to keep this secured. upwork also has pretty good support, and that also has to be paid for. so IMHO, the costs can stay as they are.

3. I also agree with that, also, would be great if upwork advised on average rate when someone is putting up a similiar offers. It makes me just smile when I see offer that's not worth the money offered, just becasue the offer creator doesn't really know what's the value of the work on the market. I don't really have anything against people who doesn't know. But in my humble opinion upwork could offer them average rate so their offer doesn't end up with only the cheapest contractors which aren't really the best choice for a job that has to be done really well.

Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
3 of 6

Yo Mike,

You are a miracle worker or you are the CEO of Upwork, just pretending to be a freelancer in order to judge the satisfaction levels of your freelancers.

You might be wondering why I say this.....

Just a couple of days after you posted your suggestion, Upwork has already considered and is working on your 2nd suggestion.....the one regarding the service fees.

I received an email from Upwork just about now, a short survey kind of thing.

I am already compiling a list of suggestions that I would like to make, and I will pass them on to you for posting it on the forum and watch them get implemented. Am I a genius or what  Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Cheers!!!

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 6

@Nikhil D wrote:

Yo Mike,

Just a couple of days after you posted your suggestion, Upwork has already considered and is working on your 2nd suggestion.....the one regarding the service fees.

I received an email from Upwork just about now, a short survey kind of thing.

Nikhil, I assume you're talking about the email with the title, "Help us make Upwork better". Unfortunately, there's a key difference between Mike's 2nd suggestion and the new service fee structure proposed in the survey. Rather than decrease the 10% fee, it increases it to 18% for the first $500 earned from a client, then drops to the same 10% until you've earned $10,000 from the client, until it finally drops to 7.5% after $10,000. If the 18% fee is adopted, it will be the last nail in the coffin for me, and I will definitely have to freelance elsewhere, or else raise my hourly fee enough to compensate for the 80% fee increase.

5 of 6

My mistake, John.

I was being selfish and short sighted. Thanks for explaining the new pricing system, it really doesn't sound easy on the pockets now.

Mike H Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
6 of 6

Rather than decrease the 10% fee, it increases it to 18% for the first $500 earned from a client, then drops to the same 10% until you've earned $10,000 from the client, until it finally drops to 7.5% after $10,000. 

Wow, I did not see that email, John.  I'm going to have to dig through and see if I can find the survey.  That seems like terrible incentive to find new clients, and even worse to keep them on UpWork.  I would love to see UpWorks stats on median contract value.  I'll bet its under $500.  There are plenty of other sites serving niche markets that I'm sure would happily fill the gap, if UpWork gets too greedy.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS