Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDA, Copyrights, and Content Creation Agreements

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
John B Member Since: Jul 21, 2016
1 of 4

I am a semi-retired business writer using UpWork to fill time and get some variety. I am generally ok with content ownership and protection contracts but it gets sticky if a deal goes sour and I am never compensated. I am wondering if all if these content agreements are valid if the project was dropped and not paid for...

If I sign an agreement via my personal email and the client does not pursue the entire writing engagement, do I still have to abide by the agreements?

Do I own the work that was done if the client never paid?

Can I use work I've written as examples to other prospects if they never paid completely?

TIA!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 4

If you aren't paid for the work, you own the work. Period.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
3 of 4

Yes, you can use the work as an example or portfolio item if you own it because it wasn't paid for.

Some people here like to put caveats on that. I think you can act responsibly and charitably in your application of this principle, out of concerns for privacy and such. But that is the client taking a risk.

If a client hired me to work with a document and doesn't pay me for my work, and I publicize the document... Blame for that definitely lies with the client.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
4 of 4
John,

You can also file a DMCA takedown request for any unpaid material being used by your client.

Best,
Michael
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS