🐈 Community
meganduggar

NDA and Unverified Payment

I'm fairly new here and have a question.  I had proposed a data entry job and was invited to accept an offer.  I was asked for my personal email address, which I have no problem providing, but the client has not verified payment, and asked me to sign an NDA agreement before giving me more detailed information about what I'll be doing.  They have been a member since Sept. 4, and still don't have a verified payment and no hires.  I am a bit skeptical about doing any work outside of Upwork, but from what I have read that seems normal in some instances.  Any advice so I don't get burned?  I have requested that the client verify payment before I do anything else and hopefully they will. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Signing an NDA and whether or not a client can actually hire and pay through Upwork are two totally unrelated topics.

If the client is not going to pay through Upwork, you can't work with them.

An NDA is irrelevant. If you sign one saying you won't reveal info while working for them, it doesn't mean anything because you won't be working for them.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter

Meh... NDAs are typically nothing to be worried about.

My advice:

Read it.

If there's nothing weird in it, just sign it.

A normal NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) asks that you don't tell other people about the stuff you learn while interviewing for or working for Company X.

Honestly, who are you going to tell anyway? Nobody you know even cares.

As long as there is nothing "weird" like "you will never work for any other company again" or "you will give us all your money and the first born puppy from your dog's next litter"... then there's really nothing to be afraid of.

I sign NDAs but never include any personal information other than my name.

I asked the client to please verify payment before I signed the NDA and started the work, but was told that the payment comes from outside Upwork and he wouldn't be able to do it.  He stated "company rules"

Signing an NDA and whether or not a client can actually hire and pay through Upwork are two totally unrelated topics.

If the client is not going to pay through Upwork, you can't work with them.

An NDA is irrelevant. If you sign one saying you won't reveal info while working for them, it doesn't mean anything because you won't be working for them.

Megan,

As Preston pointed out, while many freelancers sign NDA, it's still a serious violation of Upwork ToS to offer or accept payments outside of the platform. Could you please click on my name and send me a private message with a screenshot of the conversation where the payment off site was offered?

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hello. I found  my client payment is not verifed. Should I start hourly work for him. Thanks

@Md M wrote:

Hello. I found  my client payment is not verifed. Should I start hourly work for him. Thanks

No. It means they can't be charged so you don't get paid. They need to fix it before you continue.

Learning Paths