Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NDA

This widget could not be displayed.
11 of 14

Nope. Nope. Nope. 
No reason for any client to ask for your passport. Sign the NDA after you have contract that's funded.
I recently had a portential client ask for an NDA - fine. But she never came through with anything to work on and there was no contract, so I withdrew the proposal.

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
12 of 14

Cairenn R wrote:

. Sign the NDA after you have contract that's funded.
I recently had a portential client ask for an NDA - fine. But she never came through with anything to work on and there was no contract, so I withdrew the proposal.

I don't agree. Disclosure tends to occur during the discussion of the project where the client is trying to find the right freelancer. In this way signing an NDA prior to a contract is appropriate and in many cases necessary. It doesn't matter if you sign an NDA and the work never commences. The process to deal with an NDA should not be long and any time you take there should just be considered the cost of doing business. Most NDA's are one page or two at the most. If longer be concerned because they may be asking for things that don't belong in an NDA. Otherwise review it and if there is nothing out of the ordinary, sign and get back to the business of selling your services. 

My other advice is let clients know that by working through UW they are automatically under NDA. You can provide them the link which is easy to find in the help section. Not all clients will be satisfied with that - which is certainly fine - but I have had numerous who were really glad for that fact and we moved on without a separate one. Always worth a mention. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 14

Cairenn R wrote:

Nope. Nope. Nope. 
No reason for any client to ask for your passport. Sign the NDA after you have contract that's funded.

Sometimes they want you to sign an NDA before they explain the job to you because the job description (during voice chat) requires internal documents.

I only give out my address though. 

eta: derp, shoulda read ahead. Scott already said it.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 14

I have signed dozens of NDAs as an Upwork freelancer.

Not a big deal.

But nobody has ever asked for my passport or driver's license.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS