Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDA

chikuse
Community Guru
Jiang C Member Since: Dec 8, 2013
1 of 10
After I accepted the offer, my client said she wanted me to sign an NDA. It is a translation job. What terms should I have in it to protect myself? Thanks!
mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 10

In my experience, the client usually has their own NDA that they want you to sign.  Most are pretty generic.  Just read it carefully.

chikuse
Community Guru
3 of 10
Thanks Mary! I'm not quite familiar with legal English. Maybe I should hire someone to review that for me.
9b86ad04
Jonathan M Member Since: Apr 2, 2017
4 of 10

Does anyone have an electronic NDA file that I can use? 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 10

One thing you'll want to watch out for is that many documents clients refer to as NDAs also include non-compete clauses which, if applied as written, would prohibit most of us from doing a lot of the freelance work we routinely do.

When this occurs, I always point it out to the client and request a change. I have never had a client refuse to make the change or withdraw an offer because of this request, though a few have asked me to make the changes and submit a revised agreement to them.

chikuse
Community Guru
6 of 10
Hi Tiffany, Thanks for your reply! I took a quick look at it. I didn't see any non-compete clause in it. I found something like "Without granting any right or license, the Disclosing Party agrees that the foregoing shall apply indefinitely with respect to any information following the disclosure thereof or any information that the Receiving Party can document...." Is this common? I mean "indefinitely"? I've never seen this used in other NDAs before. I used to work in pharmaceutical industry and have signed a lot of CDAs. I don't recall I saw this word in any of the CDAs I've signed. Not sure if it's different in translation industry.
browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
BEST ANSWER
7 of 10

It's hard to tell without seeing the rest of the paragraph in terms of what they are referring to.  If the information becomes public through means not of your making, you are usually released from needing to hold it confidential (because it is already out there).  I would also recommend looking at the section that discusses remuneration.  For example I've seen some that allows the client to recoup attorney fees if it is found that the freelancer violated the contract.  However, if the freelancer was found to be innocent, no such provision for recouping fees as in evidence.  So either both parties should be responsible for their legal fees or go by the "winners" rule. 

Also, there is actually already an NDA in place just by working through UW.  You can send the below link to your client.  I've had some drop the need for an additional NDA based on this while others still wanted their own.

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/legal/intellectual-property-protection-non-disclosure-agreements/

View solution in original post

chikuse
Community Guru
8 of 10
Hi Scott, Thanks a lot for your suggestion and the link. I'll send her the link and see how it goes.
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
9 of 10

Jiang,

As has been said, for the NDA itself it's more a matter of striking extraneous matter such as "non-compete" clauses than including anything to protect your own rights.

Let the NDA serve its limited purpose, and propose or require any protection or reservation of your own rights as a separate contract.

Best,
Michael

chikuse
Community Guru
10 of 10

Hi Michael, thanks a lot! I used to work in a big pharma and had a whole legal team to review CDAs. Now I have to do it all by myself. Have no idea where to start. hehe. Thanks a lot for your suggestion! It took me several hours to finally log back in here again. Still not sure if I could send this message out or not though. In case this can be sent out, a big THANK YOU to you all for helping me out here! Much appreciated!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS