cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEGATIVE "1 STAR" REVIEW

njihiapaul5
Paul N Member Since: Oct 4, 2017
1 of 14

Recently a client of mine refused to make payment for articles completed. I waited for 12 days and thereafter had to make a decision to claim ownership of the articles by publishing them on my blog. I informed the client of my intention and they swiftly made the payment through upwork. I was not surprised that they left a very negative feedback on my profile filled with nothing but lies. Is there a way I can contest the 1 star review with facts which I have?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 14

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry to hear about the misunderstanding you had on this contract, please note that you can respond to your client's feedback or request its removal if you're a Top Rated freelancer.

Untitled
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 14

@Paul N wrote:

Is there a way I can contest the 1 star review with facts which I have?

No, there isn't. If you refund (I wouldn't) the feedback will vanish, but the hit on your JSS will remain.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 14

@Petra R wrote:

@Paul N wrote:

No, there isn't. If you refund (I wouldn't) the feedback will vanish, but the hit on your JSS will remain.

I'm surprised to see you advocating not making a refund when the OP said that he published the content on his own blog. Surely you're not suggesting that he can keep the content and also keep the payment? 

petra_r
Community Guru
5 of 14

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

@Paul N wrote:

I'm surprised to see you advocating not making a refund when the OP said that he published the content on his own blog. Surely you're not suggesting that he can keep the content and also keep the payment? 

Maybe I misunderstood but I was under the impression he doesn't even have a blog and that he only threatened to publish them on his blog.... 

He said the informed the client "of his intention"

tlsanders
Community Guru
6 of 14

Did the client actually refuse to make payment, or was a milestone pending?

The Upwork system allows a client 14 days to review submissions and make payment, so unless you had some other agreement with the client or the client actually told you he/she wasn't going to pay, that was your mistake--the payment would have auto-approved in two days if you had just waited. The client is probably familiar with the system and anticipated the payment processing automatically in a couple of days.

petra_r
Community Guru
7 of 14

The client did not fund those, and has some scheme where he gets his many low cost writers to agree to churn out countless $ 2 articles and pays for the accepted ones in batches. It is not something anyone with sense accepts, but if the freelancer agrees to other terms upfront as the client claims in his feedback it is not against the Terms of Service.

tlsanders
Community Guru
8 of 14

Maybe I'm the one misinterpreting. After re-reading, I'm not sure--the two sentences seem contradictory to me, so I'm not sure whether he actually acted on it.

If not, then I agree with you re the refund, though it still looks to me like the freelancer triggered the negative feedback with his own precipitous action, perhaps as a result of not having taken the time to learn how fixed price projects work.

petra_r
Community Guru
9 of 14

@Tiffany S wrote:

Maybe I'm the one misinterpreting. After re-reading, I'm not sure--the two sentences seem contradictory to me, so I'm not sure whether he actually acted on it.

Always a bit disconcerting when two intelligent veterans can not properly figure out what a so-called "professional writer" is trying to convey in a simple forum post......"

tlsanders
Community Guru
10 of 14

@Petra R wrote:

The client did not fund those, and has some scheme where he gets his many low cost writers to agree to churn out countless $ 2 articles and pays for the accepted ones in batches. It is not something anyone with sense accepts, but if the freelancer agrees to other terms upfront as the client claims in his feedback it is not against the Terms of Service.

Wow. Okay, that's not what I thought we were dealing with at all.

I'm not sure whether I'm more dismayed by this set-up or by the fact that it appears all this fuss was over $24.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS