Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEGATIVE "1 STAR" REVIEW

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 14

@Petra R wrote:

The client did not fund those, and has some scheme where he gets his many low cost writers to agree to churn out countless $ 2 articles and pays for the accepted ones in batches. It is not something anyone with sense accepts, but if the freelancer agrees to other terms upfront as the client claims in his feedback it is not against the Terms of Service.

Maybe I shouldn't say this out loud, because it's kind of a "don't try this at home, kids" issue, but I actually have an ongoing contract that works pretty much exactly this way (except the abysmally low rate, and the option of paying only for certain pieces). My client never escrows. I provide a batch of blog posts at the beginning of each month and he logs in and pays via the bonus feature. He's paid me thousands of dollars, always within a day of submission. 

I think what's a good business decision depends on knowing your clients and knowing your risk tolerance. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 14

@Tiffany S wrote:

Maybe I shouldn't say this out loud, because it's kind of a "don't try this at home, kids" issue, but I actually have an ongoing contract that works pretty much exactly this way (except the abysmally low rate, and the option of paying only for certain pieces). My client never escrows. I provide a batch of blog posts at the beginning of each month and he logs in and pays via the bonus feature. He's paid me thousands of dollars, always within a day of submission. 

I think what's a good business decision depends on knowing your clients and knowing your risk tolerance. 

Enterprise clients do this. Udemy never escrowed but always paid and they paid thousands to all writers every month. They get special rules lol but you don't see people complaining because they pay. I'd never do it with a random from an open job post.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
13 of 14

The best you can do is respond to the feedback indicating that the client requested X amount of articles to be provided per month and that while your work ethic is good it is not superhuman. 

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
14 of 14

@Paul N wrote:

Recently a client of mine refused to make payment for articles completed.

Do you mean that your client refused to fund escrow? If so, then you should NOT have started work until he did. Or did you ment that your client just TOLD you that they weren't going to pay you?

I waited for 12 days and thereafter had to make a decision to claim ownership of the articles by publishing them on my blog.

IF escrow was funded all you had to do was to send the completed work to the client by clicking on the Submit Work/Request Payment button. And then just WAIT. In 14 days any money in escrow would have been released to you.

I informed the client of my intention and they swiftly made the payment through upwork. I was not surprised that they left a very negative feedback on my profile filled with nothing but lies. Is there a way I can contest the 1 star review with facts which I have?

I have no idea what they wrote, (your profile is private) but you can contest that, by stating facts in your review concerning the client. MANY freelancers, when they reply back concerning negative feedback, get all caught up in the "drama." If you answer that negative feedback, do not sent it as soon as you're finished with it. Use Word to compose your reply. Several time a day, look at what you wrote and if necessary, revise it. Before going to bed, re-read it. In the morning again re-read it and make modifications. Then and only then publish it. Freelancers do more harm by their responses (their rants, raves, ) then the 1 star review.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS