insolvent

NEW Fixed Price contracts not good for international users

Odesk have recently changed their fixed price contract policies. I think when they did this, they did not consider their international customers. The new system requires you to deposit a sum as soon as you offer a contract. I can see why its done, to provide security, to the candidate. But this is the problem, something I encountered: Contract offer was for $50. Odesk took deposit. Freelancer had a change in mind and did not go ahead with it, so contract not signed ODESK refunded me the full $50, and did not take their commission ALL ok it seems. But here is the problem for international clients I live in UK so my main currency is Pounds. When the $50 was taken i was hit with a NON-REFUNDABLE bank admin fee and a foreign exchange charge. Now because the contract did not go ahead, that amount i don't get back. This is the problem with this new system. I spoke to Odesk chat team, and they said they cant do anything about bank charges. Its a shame, but I cant risk loosing a small sum each time if the contract does not go ahead. Hence I believe this is where my journey with odesk finishes.
2 REPLIES 2
g_nembhard

I didn't think about the potential bank fees etc. So, you only work with fixed priced roles and not hourly?
insolvent

I dont mind paying it and I have in the past. But the nuisance now is, that as ODESK take deposit upfront, then im paying bank fees regardless if the contract goes ahead. And that is non-refundable. I already lost $4 because of this. And yes i only do fixed price contract. This way I know what im getting at the end for a fixed price. Allows me to budget my cash flow. If it takes candidate ten minutes or 1 month.