Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NZ Bank Account Format

Highlighted
Louise S Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
1 of 7

Hello, 

I'm trying to add my New Zealand bank account to my payment methods and Upwork is asking for my eight-digit account number with four-digit suffix. 

As far as I'm aware all NZ account numbers, including mine, follow this format: xx-xxxx-xxxxxxx-xx

There's no eight-digit part, and no four-digit suffix. So can you advise me on what I'm supposed to be entering? 

Thanks

Louise

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 7

Hi Louise, 

I checked your account and can see that you were able to add your bank account details to your payment method. For security reasons, it will take 3 days to activate a newly added payment method, and in your case, it will be available on th e 25th of February. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
3 of 7

Thanks Avery, yes I was able to figure it out in the end! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Tamara P Member Since: Feb 26, 2017
4 of 7

Hey Louise! 

Can I ask you what the fix was? What's the 8 digits?! 

Thanks.

Highlighted
5 of 7

Hi Tamara, 

Sure! So the format of my account number is xx-xxxx-xxxxxxx-xx. For the eight digit number Upwork requires, I took this part, which was only seven digits: 

xx-xxxx-XXXXXXX-xx

And I added a zero to the beginning to make eight digits. If that part of your account number was only six digits, you'd add two zeros to the front and so on. 

For the four digit number, I took this part:

xx-xxxx-xxxxxxx-XX

And I added two zeros to the beginning to make four digits. 

Then I entered the new eight digit number followed by the new four digit number with no spaces. Hopefully that all makes sense but let me know if you have any questions!

Louise

PS: It asks for your BSB in the next field - that's just this part all together with no spaces: XX-XXXX-xxxxxxx-xx.

Highlighted
Monique G Member Since: Mar 16, 2017
6 of 7

I had trouble with this too, will try your way!

Highlighted
Chris M Member Since: Jun 3, 2018
7 of 7

Thanks so much for helping make this process easy, I was confused too.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS