Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name Change

bwegscheider
Community Guru
Beth T Member Since: Jan 18, 2015
1 of 7

I legally changed my name and initiated a name change through Upwork. Upwork requires two documents to complete a name change. One of these is a bank or billing statement. This is one of the last documents that a person would receive with his or her new name. I will have my driver's license and social security card long before that, and of course I already have the name change order. The documents I have on hand are more official than a bill. It seems like I could just go ahead and get this done now.

Moreover, I was not told that when I initiate a name change, I am unable to apply for new jobs until I submit the documents. So I had to spend a lot of time last night talking to a rep to cancel the name change. Now I have to wait 24-48 hours before I can apply for work again. Then I'll have to initiate a name change again once I receive the proper documentation according to Upwork.

This process does not seem to be well thought-out at all.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 7

Beth,

It does sound like a pain, but the upside is you don't change your name very often, and this will hopefully be a pain you only have to endure once.

The reason the policies for changing your name are so labyrinthine is that Upwork is constantly combatting fraudulent contractors. It's not your fault. It's their fault.

Upwork (Odesk) didn't start out this way, but they had to become more and more stringent in order to try to tamp down on people from other parts of the world setting up accounts, handing over accounts to other people, setting up multiple accounts, etc.

"This is why we can't have nice things."

tj1972
Community Guru
Tamaz J Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
3 of 7

Hi Beth,

Ooooh, that's a quite process here. Smiley Very Happy

I had same problem about 2 years ago when got registered here - misspelled a single letter in the name and the whole back and forth emailing started between support and me.

In those days back it was I think 10 days or so but finally we resolved the issue (in couple days actually). But could not be able to apply for the job I think this is something new. Because what I remeber is that I already had a contract when realized the problem with name and initiated the changing process, but still I was working and was able to log time without problems.

It'll take some time but finally you won't have problems with that.

Thanks

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 7

Hi Beth,

Sorry to hear about your frustration. I have checked and it looks like you name change request has already been cancelled.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Valeria
Upwork
bwegscheider
Community Guru
Beth T Member Since: Jan 18, 2015
5 of 7

Yes, I'm going to initiate the process again today and hope that it goes smoothly. I do understand the need for high security and scrupulous ID-checking; however, as I mentioned, the original court document should be acceptable, as it is more official than a utility bill. I just thought Upwork could reconsider their list of acceptable documents to speed up the process for everybody concerned.

Now I won't be able to apply for jobs again for a couple of days ... Wish me luck!

anohedr
anoop m Member Since: Nov 22, 2015
6 of 7

Hello 

I was using freelancer.com and got an offer letter from a firm. They did send me a offerletter and once I accept it they told me to create a moneygram account and later I came to know its a fake offer letter. I immediately cancelled my money gram account. Then later I moved to upwork. I created a profile with a different name now I have couple of jobs in hand. I have added my bank account and initiated a name change. It was rejected and I hvae uploaded required document like my drivers license and bank statement. I am not sure why the name change is rejected ever after uploading required documents. I can see only one difference my address is different in driver license and my bank statement. We just moved to a new home and I did not change my new address on my drivers license. I am not sure what else upwork need from me to change the name. Please help.

Thanks

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 7

Hi Anoop,

I see our agent shared all the details and explained why your request was rejected. I also see they instructed you to submit your documents for ID verification and reply on the open ticket once you've submitted these through the provided link.

Please reply on the ticket as instructed so we can proceed with the verification process.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS