🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Name Issue
Page options
leedawndraws
Community Member

Name Issue

Hi, I have an issue.

I want to be verified as being in the US, but I will not use my legal name on Upwork (or in any of my other business ventures)

I own a registered business with the state of California as my display name, Lee Dawn. Is there any way to verify my identity but keep "Lee Dawn" as my account name?

It isn't even a completely fictitious name. It is a diminutive form of my actual, legal name.I find it kind of silly that this name is good enough for my state on contracts, taxes, whatever, but not for Upwork.

2 REPLIES 2
a_lipsey
Community Member

I am sure the moderators can help you with this. If it's the name of your business or LLC, it's likely they can work it out. I am interested as well because I would like to list the name of my company versus my legal name, as mine is also derivative of my legal name. 

Waiting with interest...

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lee,

We completely understand that not all names have the same pattern when written in public documents or when registering for an account online. Hence we carefully review each document to ensure that users will not have a problem when the time comes that they will be requested to verify their identity. 

If your name variation is not acceptable, our agent will advise you directly about mismatch on your documents and suggest editing your Upwork profile name to match your legal name. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths