🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Name change confusion
Page options
shdeen
Community Member

Name change confusion

Hi —

Forgive me if this has been answered; I see lots of questions about name changes, but none address this specific issue (which I'd think is pretty minor and also common...).

I created my Upwork account some time ago, but haven't used it, primarily because I can't find a way to display my first name as I use it professionally vs my legal name. They are very similar, but with variant spellings. My legal name is 'Shalom' but it's pronounced 'Shulem', so to avoid confusion,I've been using the latter for the past 28 years of my profressional life.

I've seen conflicting info re showing a variant name on my profile — some articles say yes, but the 'Contact Info' page is frustratingly unclear about this.

I understand that my legal name is required for contracts, setting up payments, etc. which is fine. I just need to be able to display my name as my clients know it. 

Any guidance on this would be super appreciated.

Thanks!

Shulem

3 REPLIES 3
JoanneP

Hi Shulem,

While we understand freelancers at times like to promote their services under a variation of their verified name, we also know that in order for Upwork to be a great site for freelancers our marketplace needs to be a place that clients trust. We build this trust in part by sharing your verified name with them (if they hire you) and indicating that we’ve confirmed your identity. Note: Your verified name will only appear in the Contract Room with your client(s) and on invoices.

~ Joanne
Upwork
shdeen
Community Member

Joanne —

Thanks for replying. As I noted, I understand it's needed for contracts and invoices. But I don't see a place to update only how it appears on my profile. Looks like there's only one name field. I could update that, it appears, but then where would I enter my legal name for payments, contracts, etc? Like I said, I keep getting conflicting info on this. Really hoping someone can clarify. 

Thanks,

Shulem

Hi Shulem,

I've asked the help of our team to provide you clarifications about this. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. You can access the ticket when you log in to your Upwork account and going here.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members