🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Nasty Upwork attitude
Page options
ankere
Community Member

Nasty Upwork attitude

I'm sorry but your attitude to freelancers is quite nasty.

You locked my profile exactly when I was chosen for interview for a future job to get paid so you expect me to pay for the premium service? Could you please kindly wait until the results of it before you lock my profile? If they don't hire me for this job I would like you to delete all my personal informaton in regards to Data Protection Directive (Directive 95/46/EC) of the European Union from all your servers without any trace and delte my profile. I'm really saddend by your attitude on this case and would most likely not want to work with this system in the future except this job I have submitted application based on a client invitation.

I can also confirm that upwork did not provide enough job for me to apply for and earn money without a massive loss on my side. How can I make architecture design for 50$ when the real price is $4000? Treating different professional groups to the same criteria as IT or SEO for example is wrong.

I'm looking forward to your answer.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

1. You are not the client. The person who wants to interview you and possibly hire you to complete a project is the client. They are our clients and they are UW's clients. We FLs are UW's inventory. We are collectively necessary but individually we are completely expendable. It is up to each of us to make our self indispensible by landing projects and making clients happy, earning money for ourselves and for UW.

2. If by "locked" you mean switched to private, that happens automatically to any FL who goes 30 days without being paid anything. It has happened to me any number of times. All you have to do is use the link in the notification email to request that it be switched back.

3. When your profile is switched to private, it is still visible to any client to whom you have submitted a proposal or any client who has invited you to bid on a job. It is just not visible in search.

4. If by "locked" you mean suspended, then UW must think you have violated the ToS somehow and I expect they are or will be in touch with you.

5. It's not UW's responsibility to "provide you with enough jobs to apply for and earn money without a massive loss". UW operates a marketplace where you can connect with clients. It is up to you to identify the ones who represent the best opportunities for you and convince them to hire you at a rate that doesn't result in "a massive loss". If there are not enough such clients in your field, then UW may not be a good resource for you. It's not for everybody. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

1. You are not the client. The person who wants to interview you and possibly hire you to complete a project is the client. They are our clients and they are UW's clients. We FLs are UW's inventory. We are collectively necessary but individually we are completely expendable. It is up to each of us to make our self indispensible by landing projects and making clients happy, earning money for ourselves and for UW.

2. If by "locked" you mean switched to private, that happens automatically to any FL who goes 30 days without being paid anything. It has happened to me any number of times. All you have to do is use the link in the notification email to request that it be switched back.

3. When your profile is switched to private, it is still visible to any client to whom you have submitted a proposal or any client who has invited you to bid on a job. It is just not visible in search.

4. If by "locked" you mean suspended, then UW must think you have violated the ToS somehow and I expect they are or will be in touch with you.

5. It's not UW's responsibility to "provide you with enough jobs to apply for and earn money without a massive loss". UW operates a marketplace where you can connect with clients. It is up to you to identify the ones who represent the best opportunities for you and convince them to hire you at a rate that doesn't result in "a massive loss". If there are not enough such clients in your field, then UW may not be a good resource for you. It's not for everybody. 

Thank you.
As I have promised availability to a client I will wait for responce. After that I will start procedures to deactivate my account.

"5. It's not UW's responsibility to "provide you with enough jobs to apply for and earn money without a massive loss"..." 

Well I think that's your responsibility and intrerest for making even more money as a platform.

Anton K wrote:

Thank you.
As I have promised availability to a client I will wait for responce. After that I will start procedures to deactivate my account.

"5. It's not UW's responsibility to "provide you with enough jobs to apply for and earn money without a massive loss"..." 

Well I think that's your responsibility and intrerest for making even more money as a platform.

I don't work for Upwork. I am a FL just like you. Believe me, UW does everything it can, starting with investing millions of dollars a month in marketing and advertising, to attract a critical mass of clients in any and every field. It seems plausible to me that the online contractor model might not work well in every category. If there are others here making good money in a given category, then it probably does work and if an individual FL isn't succeeding, they need to change how they are going about it. If nobody is making it in that category, then it's probably not a good fit.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anton,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. I shared your concern regarding profile visibility with the rest of the team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. Please note that this change in profile visibility doesn't affect being able to receive an offer, or being able to communicate with your client about the project as you are already in an interview stage.

Additionally, please note that at Upwork, the terms of any contract, including the rate, are for clients and freelancers to decide upon together. Any freelancer who is not satisfied with the rate offered can negotiate a higher rate or find a project they consider to be more suitable.

If you would like to close your Upwork account, please follow the steps outlined in this help article

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths