cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Native English

erke-irene
Irene E Member Since: Jun 30, 2016
1 of 4

I have a question.  I really want to know more about the native english speaking that most clients are asking when you are trying to bid on a job on upworks.  i would like to learn so maybe I can bid on a job and get the one that has native english and not get passed up.

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
2 of 4

All you need to do is change the "Languages" section of your profile to "Native/Bilingual" (assuming that is, in fact, the case)

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
3 of 4

One cannot "learn" to be a native English speaker. An argument could be made that for many purposes, someone who has a good ear for languages and who has lived in an English-speaking country for a good number of years and who has interacted near-daily with English speakers is, effectively, a native speaker. (For example, the spouse of a native speaker who has lived in America or the U.K. for 20-plus years might well have achieved native fluency.)

A quick glance at the Original Poster's question/comment, however, suggests that, all good intentions and efforts notwithstanding, she is not yet ready to accurately present herself as a "Native English Speaker." There are small "tells" that show she doesn't have full mastery of the language, and it is these small slips that a potential client is presumably looking to avoid.

mariawicz5
Community Guru
Maria A Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
4 of 4
I don't know if you're "native," but judging from your profile, I'd definitely say you're better than "conversational."
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS