🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Nearly finished project, client doesn't w...
Page options
kayla-h
Community Member

Nearly finished project, client doesn't want it. Should I ask for payment?

So I started a job about a week ago for a brand new client. The project was for someone else outside of Upwork. Everything was going well, there were just a few more changes to be made. My client said they would show my work to this person for additional feedback, which is fine. Then, I didn't hear from my client for a few days. I messaged them asking if they had any updates, and they said that while the person liked my work, they ultimately decided to go with something else.

I've only been on Upwork for about a year, and I've never had this happen. Should I ask the client for some form of payment to compensate for the work I've done? I feel like I've wasted my time.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Kayla H wrote:
Here's a screenshot for context. They did not cancel the contract. Sorry for the confusion.

ok, it is funded (money is in Escrow)

I would suggest you contact the client and explain that as XX% of the work is done you will be submitting for XX% of the amount as you did the work. Be polite, understanding of their issue, but firm. The client entered a legally binding contract.

Then wait for the the client's response, and if none is forthcoming, use the "Submit for payment" function and request the percentage you decided is fair.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
petra_r
Community Member

Kayla H wrote:
So I started a job about a week ago for a brand new client. The project was for someone else outside of Upwork. Everything was going well, there were just a few more changes to be made. My client said they would show my work to this person for additional feedback, which is fine. Then, I didn't hear from my client for a few days. I messaged them asking if they had any updates, and they said that while the person liked my work, they ultimately decided to go with something else.

I've only been on Upwork for about a year, and I've never had this happen. Should I ask the client for some form of payment to compensate for the work I've done? I feel like I've wasted my time.

Do you have a contract?

Hourly or fixed rate?

Fully (!) funded if fixed rate?

Your client's client isn't your problem, he hired you, what his client does is irrelevant

kayla-h
Community Member

Yes, we have a contract with a fixed rate.
petra_r
Community Member

Kayla H wrote:
Yes, we have a contract with a fixed rate.

Is the work for the milestone done? Fully funded?

If yes, use the "submit for payment" button

kayla-h
Community Member

It was close to being finished. I was just waiting for additional feedback. It's very frustrating because I didn't recieve any answer right away, and I've done all this work on the project already.
petra_r
Community Member

Kayla H wrote:
It was close to being finished. I was just waiting for additional feedback.

Then submit for payment and let's see what happens. Maybe submit for a slightly lower amount (say it was $ 200 and is 90% done, submit for $ 180?)

gabrielaflores
Community Member

Hello, fellow freelancer. So sorry you´re going through this situation.

In my opinion, clients get a chance to review your samples/past work/resume before a contract starts and then once you both enter into contract and funds are deposited in escrow it is the freelancer´s responsibility to comply with his/her work and the client´s obligation to pay.  Free tests or tries are strickly prohibited on Upwork so the work you did deserves payment.

First question: Was a contract started for this job? Second question: Did the client place the agreed amount in escrow? (assuming this was a "fixed amount" type of job). If yes, then I would definitely  ask for those funds to be released. Your time and effort are worth money, we´re not on Upwork for the love of art. You´re not this client´s "business partner" ...you never agreed to risk anything or see if a third party liked your work. Your client needs to comply with what was agreed. I suggest you DO NOT give a refund and contact your client first for payment and if he&she refuses, then contact Upwork support for a mediation.

Best of luck,

Gabriela Flores

To answer your questions: Yes, there is a contract. And yes, this is a fixed rate job, so I'm assuming that means the money is in escrow.
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kayla,

I checked your contracts and, in case I'm looking at the right one, it seems you were able to reconnect with the client and have recently communicated with them? If this is the case, you can communicate with the client to discuss the work you provided, check if they have more work for you in the near future and ask them to release the funds and close the contract. You can also request payment by using the Submit Work for Payment button on your end.  

Please send me a pm with the contract details if I'm looking at a different one.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Kayla H wrote:
To answer your questions: Yes, there is a contract. And yes, this is a fixed rate job, so I'm assuming that means the money is in escrow.

What do you mean "you're assuming?" Isn't that the first thing you do before you even accept a contract? What does it say on the contract page?

(My jobs > All Contracts > Click on the contract!)

funded.jpg

kayla-h
Community Member

Okay, so there is no money in escrow. There is only one milestone for this project, which was not funded. Should I still ask them to pay me to compensate for my work? Obviously not the full price.
petra_r
Community Member

Kayla H wrote:
Okay, so there is no money in escrow. There is only one milestone for this project, which was not funded.

This is not possible - the first milestone MUST have been funded. It is not possible to create a fixed rate contract without funding the first milestone.

Did the client cancel the contract and generated a "Return of Escrow Funds" request?

kayla-h
Community Member

Here's a screenshot for context. They did not cancel the contract. Sorry for the confusion.
lysis10
Community Member

Kayla H wrote:

There's $100 funded. You can see it says "(funded)"

petra_r
Community Member

Kayla H wrote:

ok, it is funded (money is in Escrow)

I would suggest you contact the client and explain that as XX% of the work is done you will be submitting for XX% of the amount as you did the work. Be polite, understanding of their issue, but firm. The client entered a legally binding contract.

Then wait for the the client's response, and if none is forthcoming, use the "Submit for payment" function and request the percentage you decided is fair.

kayla-h
Community Member

Okay, I'll do that. Thank you, Petra, and everyone else for your help!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths