🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Need Advice on An Existing Contract
Page options
e7617c88
Community Member

Need Advice on An Existing Contract

Hello,

Hope all is well. I’m reaching out to get some advice on a contract I started last May 23rd. When I accepted the contract I understand that I had to go through a training process and accepted the contract for 10hrs/week. But it’s been Over two weeks since I finished training and already started working shifts since last week and I went over the 10hrs that was contracted. I reached out to them and asked if they could adjust it to the actual hours they wanted me to work since they wanted me to put in at least 30 hrs per week. But if they’re not willing to adjust the hours. Then I wanna know if I should just cancel the contract. Because I feel that I’m just being dragged along and they’re getting more out of me and I’ve been working the rest of it for free. I don’t want to keep going over my hours and not get paid unless they increase it. So I don’t know what to do, if I should just cancel that contract and invest my time on getting a more reliable offer? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you
6 REPLIES 6
robin_hyman
Community Member

It's good you've already been paid for part of the project. If you close the contract without effectively communicating with the client, they are likely to give you poor feedback. You write "if they don't adjust the hours". Just wait and see what they say. In the future, don't go over the hours allotted. Either you agree to the right amount upfront or suck it up as a loss. 

Thank you for the advice. I continued to follow up with received this response. They advised that I cancel my contract on Upwork so they can pay me via Zelle instead and I’m not sure if this is the right way to go about it. See attached images appreciate any advise you can provide.

**Edited for community guidelines**

They should only pay you on Upwork. Payment off the platform is against Terms of Service and you can be suspended.

Hi!  

Yes I am aware and I intend to stay within the rules and terms of Upwork. I guess I am reaching out because I don't know if I should keep working for the client,  I sent them my availability to work for 25-30 hrs per week. And instead of adjusting the contract they suggested that I get paid via Zelle instead, but I told them that I prefer to stay within the Upwork platform. 

**Edited for community guidelines**

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Clarence,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about this report, including a screenshots of their requests. I'll be sure to check that and escalate accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

If you are willing to do the work, work as many hours each week as they have authorized.

When TimeTracker tells you that you have worked the maximum amount allowed each week, stop work and ask the client to increase the allowed maximum hours if they would like you to continue the work. 

If they do not increase the allowed weekly hours, don't work any more that week and ask them if they want to you start work again the following Monday, when a new Upwork work week will begin. If they don't respond, don't do any additional work unless you are sure the client won't come back and complain that they didn't want you to book any more hours on the project. 

Whatever you do, DON'T add hours manually, even if the client asks you to. When Upwork tells you a client "approves" manual hours, the client still has no obligation to pay you under Upwork's rules and Upwork won't help you get paid for those hours.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members