🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Need Advise as Client wants to pay me for har...
Page options
muhammadmoizkhan
Community Member

Need Advise as Client wants to pay me for hardware components

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a project which is related to the hardware and my client wants to pay me for the hardware so that I can start working on the project, need to ask that is he allowed to pay me for the hardware-parts with-in the Upwork, without Up-Work fee deduction? As it is not related to my hourly pay nor fixed price pay.

I am new on this situation and would like to take advice from experts.
Thanks!

Regards,
Moiz khan

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad Moiz K wrote:

I am currently working on a project which is related to the hardware and my client wants to pay me for the hardware so that I can start working on the project, need to ask that is he allowed to pay me for the hardware-parts with-in the Upwork, without Up-Work fee deduction? As it is not related to my hourly pay nor fixed price pay.

The client can pay you through Upwork but the fees will apply.

The client must NOT pay you outside Upwork, you could get banned.

The best way to handle it is that the client buys the hardware and has it shipped directly to you. That way nobody violates and terms of service and the client does not have to pay over the odds (cost plus Upwork fee plus client payment processing fee)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad Moiz K wrote:

The client can pay you through Upwork but the fees will apply.

The client must NOT pay you outside Upwork, you could get banned.

The best way to handle it is that the client buys the hardware and has it shipped directly to you. That way nobody violates and terms of service and the client does not have to pay over the odds (cost plus Upwork fee plus client payment processing fee)

Thanks, Petra for the quick response,
Sure I will tell him to ship me the parts or pay me in Upwork, Once again thanks for the support.

Community member,
Moiz

wlyonsatl
Community Member

You need to have the customer order and pay directly to the supplier then have the hardware delivered to you.

Tell him he'll save money paying the supplier directly, because if you have to pay for it and get reimbursed by the client, you'll increase the actual amount you pay for the hardware by the fee Upwork will charge. (Of course, you would not actually pay for the item until the client first paid you, right? That will also add extra time to the process.)

For example, for a $100 item you will have to charge the client $125 upfront if your Upwork fee is 20%. (20% of $125 is $25, netting you $100.)

Good luck.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members