🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Need Budget Calculator
Page options
dhimmarromesh
Community Member

Need Budget Calculator

Hi there,

Today one of my client suddenly want to switch from Hourly to Fixed Budget. He was asking me what your fixed budget for this particular task.

I am getting stuck at this point because I don't know what Upwork will take charge for particular fixed budget. So I need calculator where I can quick find the correct value for my work.

Explaning UI of "Upwork Budget Calculator".

Budget Calculator.png

This is independent UI should be accessible with/without login for freelancer.

14 REPLIES 14
petra_r
Community Member

Nileksh D wrote:

I am getting stuck at this point because I don't know what Upwork will take charge for particular fixed budget.

Seriously? It's basically 20% (under 500) or 10% plus $ 50 for anything up to $ 10k. Hardly high maths.

It would take a few minutes to create a formula in Excel, or you can use one of the ones already done, such as this one.

Why upwork not provide this solution.

I don't want to use any thord party calculator.

I want always be updated rate from Upwork.

I am developer I can create calculator for my use but if Upwork change it's rate then? I am not notify if Upwork change it's rate.

Nileksh D wrote:

I am developer I can create calculator for my use but if Upwork change it's rate then? I am not notify if Upwork change it's rate.

Wot? LOL

It's also on every proposal. You can access it in 3 mouseclicks. I don't see what your issue is.

Let me explain Smiley Happy

I applied for hourly job. $11.25/hour

Client asked how many hours you will take to finish this job.

I said 12 hours.

After few diccussion client decide, want to go with fixed based badget.

Now I want to tell him the fixed budget price.(Here is the situation when I want to calculate fixed budget price which fit as per my hourly cost).

Now, are you getting my point?

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

What you're looking for is simply called "a calculator", and they're already freely and widely available. (Some of us even learned how to do basic arithmetic without calculators.) Google "calculator", type in number of hours times hourly rate plus 20%. 

66ecf5bc
Community Member

Hi Nileksh D,

The brief summary of your statement tells that you are in need of a calculator on Upwork platform. It's not a big issue.  The calculation can be done from the calculator of any source, no matter where it is. However, Upwork has noticed your demand and may fulfil it in upcoming time. Moreover, If your buyer asks to turn from the hourly rate to fixed, keep in view how many hours you will take to complete the whole task, multiply total hours with the estimated hourly rate. Add the Upwork commission and your reasonable profit and professionally do settlement with your client. 

Thanks

Naheedmir

https://www.coupongot.com/
petra_r
Community Member

Nileksh D wrote:

Let me explain Smiley Happy

I applied for hourly job. $11.25/hour

Client asked how many hours you will take to finish this job.

I said 12 hours. Now I want to tell him the fixed budget price.(Here is the situation when I want to calculate fixed budget price which fit as per my hourly cost).

12 x 11.25 = $ 135 of which 27 is fee. How hard can that be?

Naheed M wrote:

However, Upwork has noticed your demand and may fulfil it in upcoming time

What in the world are you talking about? 

Naheed M wrote:

Hi Nileksh D,

The brief summary of your statement tells that you are in need of a calculator on Upwork platform. It's not a big issue.  The calculation can be done from the calculator of any source, no matter where it is. However, Upwork has noticed your demand and may fulfil it in upcoming time. Moreover, If your buyer asks to turn from the hourly rate to fixed, keep in view how many hours you will take to complete the whole task, multiply total hours with the estimated hourly rate. Add the Upwork commission and your reasonable profit and professionally do settlement with your client. 

Thanks

Naheedmir

Why do you go around the forum repeating things that others have already said?

lol I love dunking on developers.

OP, like for real we know you think this is a brilliant idea, but you should stick to specifications and not think too much. All you gotta do is multiply what you're charging times .8 if it's under $500. If it's over $500 just multiply by .9 and then subtract 50. 

Jennifer M wrote:

OP, like for real we know you think this is a brilliant idea, but you should stick to specifications and not think too much. All you gotta do is multiply what you're charging times .8 if it's under $500. If it's over $500 just multiply by .9 and then subtract 50. 

LOL, my calculation was totally wrong, then - I never quote fixed price projects in terms of "and now I must deduct Upwork's percentage". It's always, "this is how much money I think that I should make, and now I'll add some extra to cover revisions or in case my estimate is a bit off, and then I'll add 20% for Upwork." If Upwork could build a calculator to tell us how easily pleased a client might be and then make fee adjustments for that, now THAT would be a calculator worth having.

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

LOL, my calculation was totally wrong, then - I never quote fixed price projects in terms of "and now I must deduct Upwork's percentage". It's always, "this is how much money I think that I should make, and now I'll add some extra to cover revisions or in case my estimate is a bit off, and then I'll add 20% for Upwork." If Upwork could build a calculator to tell us how easily pleased a client might be and then make fee adjustments for that, now THAT would be a calculator worth having.

well, his calculator is confusing anyway. It has "what client sees" and ummm the client sees the cost you give them. I think he's going for "what I make" and he just needs to subtract 10% and an extra 50 if it's over 500.00.

What I do at the end of the week to figure out how much I will see from upwork is add up all the new contracts, mutliply the total by .9 and then subtract an extra 50 for every new contract over $500. Some of them are at the 5%, but I just tell myself it's surprise money when that happens. lol

Jennifer M wrote:

What I do at the end of the week to figure out how much I will see from upwork is add up all the new contracts, mutliply the total by .9 and then subtract an extra 50 for every new contract over $500. Some of them are at the 5%, but I just tell myself it's surprise money when that happens. lol

I have only a vague idea of how much I'm making from Upwork until it ends up in my bank account (having to factor in the exchange rate makes my brain hurt), so it's always surprise money. 🙂

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I have only a vague idea of how much I'm making from Upwork until it ends up in my bank account (having to factor in the exchange rate makes my brain hurt), so it's always surprise money. 🙂

After I experienced a bug where Upwork gave a double refund to someone, I'm all about keeping track. Normally, I would just wait for it to get here too.

Naheed M wrote:

Hi Nileksh D,

Thanks

Naheedmir

If there was a prize for stating the obvious....

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths