abdulrazaq89

Need Guidance

Hi mates, 

Client interviewed me and asked for a sample. I provided a sample, and he was very happy with the sample. He hired me and funded the amount. I provided 5 product descriptions, and he rejected all the product descriptions. He ended the contract and requested to returned the funded amount. 

I filed the dispute, and he rejected the disputed. He told me that my work is copied from other websites. I told him that I have my own premium Copyscape and provided a print screen of unique work. I also offer him and Up work team that I can provide my premium Copyscape user information to check whether the content is unique or not. 

He responded that your work is unique but rubbish. 

I requested client and up work team to discern my sample and 5 product description. 

What do you suggest about this dispute? What should I do more? 

The client also called insulted words, and I mentioned it in the dispute messages. 

Hoping to hear you soon, 

Best Regards

Abdul

12 REPLIES 12
colettelewis

What has customer services said? You must follow everything they tell you to do. However, I am fairly sure that work quality is only taken into account when a dispute goes further into arbitration. For the moment, I would wait and see, but always reply to CS when they want you to. Don't ignore anything, otherwise the dispute could fall in the client's favour.

I assume you have sent all the relevant correspondence to CS?

When client approved my sample and hired me. Then Up work team should not discern the sample and 5 product descriptions. What is your opinion?

Yeah, I am following each of the client messages through that dispute window. 

I want to take my mates version so that I could decide whether I need to withdraw it or carry on with it? 

What do you mean by "mates version"?

ETA: Oh, I see (at least I think I do ;)). I think if you started a dispute, continue with it, especially if escrow was funded. I think it is probable that you will win it. Just follow what CS tells you to do, not what the client tells you to do.

I want to get community members opinion. You are all very experienced so I will follow you all. I will decide in the light of your opinion. 

English not native. Customer disappointed.

Switching words around so that something passes copyscape is still plagiarism and I've found plenty of plagiarism from writers who are delusional and have obviously never been to college or at least takent the time to understand plagiarism. 

Never once have I ever used copyscape on anything of mine. I would say a writer with copyscape is a red flag.

Abdul:

If you provided five product descriptions and the client said they were all rubbish, then you should recognize that there is not a good fit between your abilities as a contractor and his needs as a client.

You should have accepted the refund request gracefully and not filed a dispute.

I wrote those product descriptions, so I know that they are 100% unique. When I talk about Copyscape, I just want to show the proof to the client and Up work team.  They are not plagiarised as well because I know that my work is creative. 

@Jennifer M wrote:

English not native. Customer disappointed.

Switching words around so that something passes copyscape is still plagiarism and I've found plenty of plagiarism from writers who are delusional and have obviously never been to college or at least takent the time to understand plagiarism. 

Never once have I ever used copyscape on anything of mine. I would say a writer with copyscape is a red flag.

The thing is, the client would (probably) have known from the outset, just from the cover letter, that the OP is not native English. It all depends what the articles were for. I have read plenty of articles, that are not perfect English, but which have told me what I am looking for (mostly IT stuff). So I think the client is trying it on.

Note that the proper thing for the CLIENT to have done in this situation is this:

The client hired the original poster to write five product descriptions, and the contractor did so, but the product descriptions did not meet the client's needs.

The client should have immediately realized that this contractor was not a good fit for the project. The client made a mistake in hiring this particular contractor. THIS IS NORMAL. This is to be expected.

Given the small amount of money involved, the client should have immediately paid the contractor the full amount... not even offering a "compromise" amount, such as half.

Then the client should close the contract and hire other people to write the product descriptions. If the client wants to use low-cost, non-native English speaking contractors to write English language product descriptions, the client should have hired multiple contractors in the first place: between 5 to 10, all given the same assignments.

If, out of that batch, the client finds product desriptions written that match his needs, he should continue working with the contractor (or contactors) who wrote them, and close the contracts on everybody else.

An alternative to this approach is to hire a single higher-paid English-speaking contractor to write the product descriptions.

But it just doesn't make sense to hire only a single, low-cost non-native English speaking contractor to write English-language product descriptions and expect usable results.

@Jennifer M wrote:

Many large scale copywriting projects requires a copyscape (or similar) report attached to each piece. Any contractor who regularly works on projects like creating school profiles, restaurant descriptions, etc. en mass (these projects often involve tens of thousands of entries) will have a tool like that.

@Tiffany S wrote:

Many large scale copywriting projects requires a copyscape (or similar) report attached to each piece. Any contractor who regularly works on projects like creating school profiles, restaurant descriptions, etc. en mass (these projects often involve tens of thousands of entries) will have a tool like that.

Yep, and I lie and say yeah yeah I did it. Never do. Don't need to. Copyscape is stupid.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

The client may be not a nice one but there is also another problem we have discussed with you in the past. Your profile shows native English language knowledge and this is not true. I think it was fluent some time ago. As soon as a native English reader will read your articles the person will criticize the quality of your articles.