Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help, Client is behaving rudely!

Ace Contributor
Nahid M Member Since: Apr 20, 2017
1 of 11

Need Advice.

I am a Top rated freelancer. I worked very hard and always try to give my best support. Most of my clients are happy with my work. They always thanked me when I completed any project perfectly. I hardly had any bad client experience. But 2019 is different. Earlier This month I was hired by a client to create a social media site. I started working but she wasn't responsive. I asked for the "Branding Strategy" and other essential things to continue my work. She sent me hosting access and told me to work on the coding part. So I did. But without a clear "Branding Strategy" and guideline the work was going slowly. So I requested again for the essential things. All she told me before that she needs a social site where women, girls can share their social life. There were no other requirements.  Anyway, after 2 weeks she told me it will take her a while to send me the essential files because she is too busy. She has 2 jobs and she is graduating from law school. So, I told her that what should I do now.

She told me she had another site she wanted me to set up and it's a social site also. So she gave me another contract. For the second site, she had the color, logo, and strategy for this site. I started working and set up the whole site. But she is telling me now that she doesn't like the homepage I design. So I told her that I can change it according to her needs. But she is refusing to continue the work.  And she paid less than half yesterday. It was a project based job. But she changed it to milestone based job and pay me less than half as milestone 1. But The site is 90% done. All the pages are complete. She just didn't like the homepage.

#Here is the weird part:

1. She requested me to take a personality exam which I did and she told me it's perfect she wanted to continue the work. NoClients requested me to take this kind of exam before.

2. She insulted my work effort. She told me that "You are a lazy worker".

3. She told me that I am playing mind games with her. I have no idea why she telling this kind of things. All I did set up the website.

4. She already mentioned several times that she is graduating from law school. I asked why is she keep telling me that. According to her response, I am not a trustworthy person. She knows criminal mind. Just because she didn't like my homepage design, I am a criminal now?

5. She keeps sending me messages more than 30+ from last 2 hours. Most of them are insults and why I am a bad developer. 

Now, I just read the positive reviews of my previous clients again to keep my self motivated. But she isn't stopping. Keep sending me messages and telling me that she is graduating from law school. She knows the game.

Please, somebody, help me. I need advice badly. All I did was set up the website, but the homepage design is not good enough for her. I am more than happy to refund the small amount she paid me yesterday. What should I do now?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 11

Nahid M wrote:

I am more than happy to refund the small amount she paid me yesterday. What should I do now?

Personally I would refund the small amount she paid, end the contract and move on. Life is too short for bad clients.

If it hits your JSS just use your perk to remove the impact.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 11

This is the problem with using escrow for creative work. They think they get a full refund because "I don't like it." 

It sounds like you found yourself a Grade A LOLcow. You know how you remind someone who keeps telling you that they are graduating law school who they are in dis world? You take their money when they don't want to give you their money. 

Then within 20 minutes of the contract being closed, you use your perk to remove their bad feedback and then get a chuckle because you know they smashed some keyboard keys as they clicked that one star and raged for  an hour in the feedback.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
4 of 11

Refund the money and block her. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 11

Nahid:

This "client" does NOT need a web developer.

She needs a court-appointed psychotherapist and a trained orderly to make sure she is taking her meds instead of faking swallowing them and then spitting them out when nobody is looking.

Ace Contributor
Bev C Member Since: Jan 2, 2018
BEST ANSWER
6 of 11

Don’t allow an obvious screwball to cast a shadow over your success or your emotions Nahid. Get rid of her as everyone has advised and move on.

In 2017 I came across someone like that who wanted me to write HR content for one of his sites but gave me no info. I kept asking and did the best I could with the scraps he threw my way and then he also ended up insulting me.

I lost hours trying to get info and give him what he wanted and didn’t get paid, but it was a wonderful lesson for me; if something or someone doesn’t seem right, back out quickly. Don't worry about the money; it's not worth it. Just cut it!

You had to hear that she’s a law graduate, he kept telling me that “he’d impregnated a beautiful woman who was 25 years younger than him…” I was like, “Huh - really? Just give me the info to get the job done.”

He also came back at me on skype and at one stage asked me if I would take on another contract “because admits he’d set me up to fail and was feeling bad about it.”

I’d rather not tell you what my reply was to him, but I blocked him and moved on happily.

Please don’t let her get you down. We will all come across lunatics from time to time.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 11

Bev C wrote:

You had to hear that she’s a law graduate, he kept telling me that “he’d impregnated a beautiful woman who was 25 years younger than him…” I was like, “Huh - really? Just give me the info to get the job done.”

BHAHAHAHA These people man. Upwork attracts some real crazies for sure.

Gajendra D wrote:

Including all the advises you got already, which are great. Also, make sure you drop an email for this issue to upwork support, maybe not seeking or expecting any specific help but let them know in advance form your side what's going on. Sometimes client won't just leave you by the closing project they make some weird story and reach to support which may cause further investigation on you. Sounds rude, huh, but it happens. Freelancing sites tend to trust client blindly over freelancers. 

nah dude. Not even worth it. Upwork will just tell him to dispute or stick to the dispute. A client can contact support, call support...whatever floats their boat let them do it. Upwork will tell them dispute is their only option. The only person who can decide who gets the money is an arbiter if a client and freelancer can't come to an agreement. Trying to prove anything to Upwork is worthless and just frustrates freelancers who keep trying to "prove" they are in the right since Upwork can't make a decision either way.

Community Leader
Gajendra D Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
8 of 11

Including all the advises you got already, which are great. Also, make sure you drop an email for this issue to upwork support, maybe not seeking or expecting any specific help but let them know in advance form your side what's going on. Sometimes client won't just leave you by the closing project they make some weird story and reach to support which may cause further investigation on you. Sounds rude, huh, but it happens. Freelancing sites tend to trust client blindly over freelancers. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 11

re: "Also, make sure you drop an email for this issue to upwork support, maybe not seeking or expecting any specific help but let them know in advance form your side what's going on."

The following post was inspired by the Gajendra's post, and is NOT about the original poster's situation:

Clients behaving rudely has nothing to do with customer support.

It would be unwise and unprofitable to think of Customer Support as the solution to things like this.

You may choose to report (or not report) client behavior which violates Upwork ToS. But there is no benefit to me in trying to contact Customer Support to tell them that a client was mean to me.

The Community Forum IS AN APPROPRIATE place to discuss situations like this. Which is what we are doing now.

But generally speaking, WE (the freelancers) are the people who must use wisdom and professionalism to deal with clients who are rude.

There is no one-size-fits-all way to respond to "rude client" scenarios. Some freelancers may just ignore stuff, if they're making money from a client. Some freelancers may have little patience for any rudeness.

And client rudeness is not always the same. What if a client fails to wish us a happy birthday on our birthday? What if a client asks us work on Diwali? What if a client calls us "dude"? What if a client is addressing a number of freelancers who work for her as "guys"? What if a client refers to his wife as "Oriental" instead of "Asian"? What if a client uses the F-word? Or the B-word? Or the E-word? What if a client texts us in the middle of the night? What if a client asks us our age or what college degrees we have? What if a client wants us to use Microsoft Word?

Professional freelancers need to be able to handle "rude clients." It's part of being a freelancer. Come here to the Forum to discuss if you have questions. Don't create a Customer Support ticket because a client used the "E-word" during a conversation with you and you don't know if you should continue working for him.

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
10 of 11

I don't see any reason to issue her a refund, but if you can have her feedback on this client removed from your profile and the calculation of your Job Success Score, that's the right thing to do.

I didn't know a client could unilaterally change the number of milestones and payment term on an active fixed price project. If that's true, it's one more reason not to do fixed price projects.

Don't let her get you down. She won't be the last clown you'll end up working for on Upwork.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS