🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Need Help with Hourly Contract
Page options
fc2d396e
Community Member

Need Help with Hourly Contract

Hi Upwork Community, Today, I have started a contract with a Client. I have finished the work in just one hour and the client proposed 40 hours. The client is satisfied and happy.  Now I don't know how to submit work for payment.

In the fixed Price Contract I can see the option of Submit Work of payment but in the hourly contract, I can't see it. 

Thank you in advance. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Malik Hamza,

You have logged the hours this week for this contract, this work week has not ended yet. You can check your Work In Progress tab in order to confirm the status of your payment. 

Please check the Weekly Billing Cycle article for more information about the schedule to release hourly payments. It takes about 10 days for payments to be processed. The first week is when you log time on an hourly contract, which ends every Sunday. The client then has 5-days to review, and/or, dispute any the hours logged on the Work Diary. If there are no issues with the hours logged, the payment for the contract will then go to a 5-day security period before it becomes available on your account.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Today, I have started a contract with a Client. I have finished the work in just one hour and the client proposed 40 hours."

That is good news.

That means the client will think you are brilliant and will hire you again.

Or it means that the client left the maximum number of hours setting at the default of 40 hours per week, and you misinterpreted the number you saw.

re: "Now I don't know how to submit work for payment."

Using an hourly contract, you DO NOT submit work for payment.

You simply provide all work that you do to the client. Provide that work any way that you want to. You can send it as an attachment in the Upwork Messages tool.

You can email it to him.

You can use Dropbox, FTP, Google Drive, Microsoft One Drive, WeTransfer.
You can print it out and walk over to his house and hand it to him.

It is up to you.

You get paid based on the time you logged using the desktop time-tracker. You don't get paid as a result of sending files to him.

Hello Preston,

I really appreciate that. 

Yes, I was logged in to the Desktop Time tracking application and I can see one hour there as well. Now how will be able to get paid? It is up to the client to accept to work.

Regards.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Malik Hamza,

On an hourly contract, you log hours and the client is automatically billed for them. Please check this article to learn how to log time using Desktop app. Also, please learn about Hourly Payment Protection and weekly billing cycle

Please note that Manually added hours are not covered by Upwork hourly protection, unlike the hours you logged using the app.

Let us know if you need further assistance. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
fc2d396e
Community Member

Hi again,

The client has already ended the contract as the job was completed.

He left me a 5 star.

But in my reports -> Overview 

I don't see the amount in pending, I see this in the Work In Progress section.

It should be in pending because the client has already paid for this. 

petra_r
Community Member

Malik Hamza N wrote:

I don't see the amount in pending, I see this in the Work In Progress section.

It should be in pending because the client has already paid for this. 

No, it shouldn't because hourly contracts are paid according to the weekly billing cycle.

Quite different to fixed rate contracts.

fc2d396e
Community Member

What should I do now?

Do you mean I will get the amount in pending after the week?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Malik Hamza,

You have logged the hours this week for this contract, this work week has not ended yet. You can check your Work In Progress tab in order to confirm the status of your payment. 

Please check the Weekly Billing Cycle article for more information about the schedule to release hourly payments. It takes about 10 days for payments to be processed. The first week is when you log time on an hourly contract, which ends every Sunday. The client then has 5-days to review, and/or, dispute any the hours logged on the Work Diary. If there are no issues with the hours logged, the payment for the contract will then go to a 5-day security period before it becomes available on your account.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members