🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Need Some Suggestions, How to handle Clients
Page options
rahman_ashfaqur
Community Member

Need Some Suggestions, How to handle Clients

Hello Upwork Community Members,

I was doing a project with one of my clients. I posted 2 days back asking what should I when the customer didn't create a second milestone for the final work.

Okay now, this happened to me. Without the client creating or activating a final delivery second milestone. He and his partner was forcing me to push the code files or provide them the final delivery code zip. 

I didn't provide them, and there was no active milestone for it. I couldn't go against the Upwork Terms of Service as I 100% maintain TOS.

Now I ended up with a 1-star review and I gave 1 star to my client because he doesn't understand the part of the job or what he wants. I literally tried to make him understand the full project, I was hired as a Front End Developer to design his Figma file.

After he started the contract and completing the 1st milestone, He was saying to me to make the design functional and dynamic which was not part of the work or the job post he made. It was not mentioned in his requirements or job posting.

Please kindly let me know, will these 1-star reviews affect my JSS? I just had a really bad experience. This is the first time on Upwork. I have 26 happy client's and this is my first 1-star review on Upwork.

Looking forward to suggestions and ideas on how to handle this kind of customer.

Best regards,

Ashfaqur Rahman

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Ashfaqur R wrote:

Please kindly let me know, will these 1-star reviews affect my JSS?

Generally, yes.

Seems the scope was not properly defined prior to agreeing to the work.

Also, you caused the whole situation by requesting partial payment. The payment for the whole job was in escrow, so instead of messing with asking for partial payment, you should have completed the fully funded job and then fully submitted it. The whole mess would have been avoided,

It's not as if the client was not funding the work, it was already fully funded. If there is one milestone for 100% of the work, you do 100% of the work and then submit for payment.

Hello Petra,

Thanks for your response. I am 100% sure that they did this on purpose. They wanted to cancel the contract after getting all the files when I submitted the final delivery milestone.

And I didn't listen to them as they were forcing me to do the work without an active milestone. Upwork should consider this type of unfair review. I wish it was removed by Upwork, by judging the full contract. 

Ashfaqur R wrote:

Thanks for your response. I am 100% sure that they did this on purpose. They wanted to cancel the contract after getting all the files when I submitted the final delivery milestone.

Nope. If they had intended something like that they would not have funded the full job, they'd have funded only the first milestone.You caused the issue  by requesting a partial payment. The full job was funded.

Yes, they wanted the first 6 Figma Designs first, so I could give them without submitting them from the submit button? 

Like can I provide code files, Git repo directly to my clients?

Ashfaqur R wrote:

Yes, they wanted the first 6 Figma Designs first, so I could give them without submitting them from the submit button? 

By just sending them.

Ashfaqur R wrote:

Like can I provide code files, Git repo directly to my clients?

Of course you can, why in the world wouldn't you? The project was fully funded. 

I often have clients ask for stuff I work on in parts. As long as it's funded and there is an active milestone, they can have interim parts, no problem. Then you just submit for payment when everything is over and done with.

You caused the whole issue with that partial submission.

Okay, understand, thanks for your feedback. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths