Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a Quick Vent, and a Question For Next Time

rachel-salazar
Racheal B Member Since: Oct 10, 2016
1 of 32

The title says it all.

I had a client that wanted me to build her resume for $5, but I stood my ground and we agreed on $40- fixed price.

I got four PDFs, two were handwritten notes that were hard to read. I tried to communicate with her to get more information, but she went AWOL for 48 hours. I did the best I could and submitted it for Milestone 1 review ($20). I didn't hear from her for 48 hours, so, I sent her a message. Then I didn't hear from her again for a day or two.

She had a few revisions, spread out over a few hours, I made them and finished late last night.

This is when I noticed the problem. It was the first time, I couldn't resubmit my work for review, and I (obviously shouldn't have) submitted the finished product through the messenger. This morning she starts accusing me of not doing the work (I date and time stamp every document, and create a file system the same way for each client) so I know I did everything she told me to.

Before I could do anything, she ended the job and got 40 hours worth of work and two differently designed resumes for $20, and gave me 4.5 stars with no feedback. /shrug.

I made my revew, of course and went about my way.

But, for next time (I'm sure there will be one) am I allowed to refuse to submit the final work unless the review comes back on? And/or is there any way to prevent myself from being scammed again?

If you read my masive wall-of-text, thank you. Smiley Happy

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 32

Frankly, if I had to argue with a client to get more than $5 for a project, I would have run away as fast as I could.

ETA: You  didn't really get scammed, and to prevent it from happening again, stay away from clients like this ... they're not all that hard to identify. Hint: they want to pay no more than $5.

View solution in original post

mariawicz5
Community Guru
Maria A Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
3 of 32

@Virginia F wrote:

Frankly, if I had to argue with a client to get more than $5 for a project, I would have run away as fast as I could.

ETA: You  didn't really get scammed, and to prevent it from happening again, stay away from clients like this ... they're not all that hard to identify. Hint: they want to pay no more than $5.

This! That should have been the first and last red flag.

corati
Community Guru
Corinne L Member Since: Jun 3, 2013
4 of 32

Hi Racheal, it doesn't matter whether you sent your file through the submit button or through the messenger system. What matters is there should have been a $40 milestone since you agreed on $40.

kochubei_valeria
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 32

Hi Racheal,

Before you submit an assignment, make sure that the milestone(s) for that assignment is fully funded. That way you will be able to submit it via the "Submit Work/Request Payment" and, if all conditions are met, qualify for the Fixed-price Protection.

~ Valeria
Untitled
tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
6 of 32

If you have finished the work for a milestone, but the client hasn't funded it. Communicate with them via Msg or email saying something like, "I have the work completed and ready for submission. You will need to fund the 2nd milestone in order for me to send it to you." 

I tend to choose wording that is neutral- implying that the client doesn't know how the system works as opposed to assuming they are avoiding using it. 

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
7 of 32

@Tonya P wrote:

If you have finished the work for a milestone, but the client hasn't funded it. Communicate with them via Msg or email saying something like, "I have the work completed and ready for submission. You will need to fund the 2nd milestone in order for me to send it to you." 

I tend to choose wording that is neutral- implying that the client doesn't know how the system works as opposed to assuming they are avoiding using it. 

The problem with that approach: You've already completed the work before a milestone was even set up & funded.

If the client is happy with the draft or similar, you're out of luck.

The rule is: NEVER start working until a milestone/the milestone for the next part of the project is in place & funded.

goldenseal
Community Leader
Joshua T Member Since: Apr 18, 2016
8 of 32

I've had clients on this platform that, despite me explaining in clear English that I need them to set a new, funded milestone for work to progress, nothing happens for days. I might get some irrelevant response, but it can be like pulling teeth.

Oh, and since clients can fund a milestone for $100 and then edit the amount to be something like $5, I recommend watermarking the **bleep** out of your deliverables until the entire, agreed-upon amount as been paid. That's what I do.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 32

@Joshua T wrote:

Oh, and since clients can fund a milestone for $100 and then edit the amount to be something like $5, 

Just a quick note: the client may change the milestone on delivery but if the released amount is lower than the milestone, your approval is required by the system.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
goldenseal
Community Leader
Joshua T Member Since: Apr 18, 2016
10 of 32

@Rene K wrote:

@Joshua T wrote:

Oh, and since clients can fund a milestone for $100 and then edit the amount to be something like $5, 

Just a quick note: the client may change the milestone on delivery but if the released amount is lower than the milestone, your approval is required by the system.

Nope. You're wrong. Just had it done by a client. Mod replied and said that yes, it is possible that they can edit the milestone and release less than it had been funded for. No approval required from me.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS